Cardinal Pell to stand trial in sex abuse case

(AP Photo/Riccardo De Luca, File)

The most senior Vatican official to be charged in the Catholic Church sex abuse crisis will stand trial. Cardinal George Pell will face at least one charge at trial after being accused of sexually abusing multiple victims decades ago. Magistrate Belinda Wallington on Tuesday dismissed some of the other charges against Pell. Wallington is issuing her ruling in the Melbourne Magistrates Court.

Wearing a cleric's collar, Pell earlier arrived by car in front of the downtown court where police officers were waiting to maintain order. His lawyer has called the charges untrue and Pell said previously he would plead not guilty if ordered to stand trial.

Advertisement

For background on the case read Gerard O'Connell's report here.

Comments are automatically closed two weeks after an article's initial publication. See our comments policy for more.

Advertisement
More: Vatican

The latest from america

 10.17.2018 Pope Francis greets Cardinal Blase J. Cupich of Chicago before a session of the Synod of Bishops on young people, the faith and vocational discernment at the Vatican Oct. 16. (CNS photo/Vatican Media)
“We take people where they are, walking with them, moving forward,” Cardinal Blase Cupich said.
Michael J. O’LoughlinOctober 20, 2018
Catherine Pakaluk, who currently teaches at the Catholic University of America and holds a Ph.D. in Economics from Harvard University, describes her tweet to Mr. Macron as “spirited” and “playful.”
Emma Winters October 19, 2018
A new proposal from the Department of Homeland Security could make it much more difficult for legal immigrants to get green cards in the United States. But even before its implementation, the proposal has led immigrants to avoid receiving public benefits.
J.D. Long-GarcíaOctober 19, 2018
 Archbishop Carlo Maria Vigano, then nuncio to the United States, and then-Cardinal Theodore E. McCarrick of Washington, are seen in a combination photo during the beatification Mass of Blessed Miriam Teresa Demjanovich at the Cathedral Basilica of the Sacred Heart in Newark, N.J., Oct. 4, 2014. (CNS photo/Gregory A. Shemitz)
In this third letter Archbishop Viganò no longer insists, as he did so forcefully in his first letter, that the restrictions that he claimed Benedict XVI had imposed on Archbishop McCarrick—one he alleges that Pope Francis later lifted—can be understood as “sanctions.”
Gerard O’ConnellOctober 19, 2018