The Tridentine Mass: Why I Couldn't Go Back

An ordinary Sunday morning. No parish assignment, no preaching. So I decide to go to a church that celebrates the Latin Mass every Sunday at 11 AM. I knew it would be in Latin, but I wasn’t sure if it would be the old Tridentine or new post-Vatican II Latin Mass. Clearly it was Tridentine! One reason to attend was to see if I could feel comfortable being the main celebration of the Latin Mass.

The church was half-filled, older men and women, some families with children, and a number of people in their 30’s who followed with their missals. The music, all in Latin, was in abundance with 90 percent sung by the choir and little by the congregation. The opening procession included 8 servers in surplices (all male), an assistant to the priest and the main celebrant.

In most churches this Sunday would be the 6th Sunday in Ordinary Time, but following the old liturgical calendar, it was Sexagesima Sunday. The priest wore purple vestments, and a purple cope since it began with the Asperges. On the altar were six large candlesticks, 3 altar cards, the missal stand with Missal and the covered chalice. Incense abounded at the beginning, at the gospel and the preparation of the gifts.

The Kyrie was sung. After the opening prayer the readings were chanted by the priest in Latin from the pre-Vatican II, 1962 Missale Romanum for Sexagesima. The celebrant ascended the pulpit and read the two readings in English using an old translation, probably the Douay version, with “thy” and “thee." He preached for about 10 minutes.

The Creed followed, in Gregorian chant with choir and congregation alternating. The priest said the creed privately. He finishes and sits and listens with the congregation while choir continues. There is no prayer of the faithful. The offertory prayers are not heard at all by the people. Then incense over the gifts, the celebrant, servers and congregation. At the Orate Fratres, only the servers respond, even if the congregation knows the response in Latin. Then the lengthy preface of the Trinity, traditionally used for Sunday Masses.

The Sanctus is sung by the choir, while the priest continues with the Roman Canon which the people could barely hear. Before the words of institution, the priest stops and waits so the Sanctus can be completed. After the institution (with incense and bell ringing) the choir sings the Benedictus while the priest continues the canon up to the great Amen. Again he waits until the choir has finished singing.

Although the altar servers remain kneeling, the people stand for the Pater Noster. (I suspect that the congregation should have remained kneeling too, but maybe that is one effect of the new liturgy that has strangely carried over to the old.) No greeting of peace. The Agnus Dei is sung. The servers recite the Confiteor, and the priest turns and says the prayer over them asking for forgiveness of sins. The priest holds up the host, “Ecce Agnus Dei”, followed by the triple fold response by the people: “Domine, non sum dignus.”

Communion is distributed at the altar rail, kneeling, and only on the tongue.

After the postcommunion prayer, the priest turns, blesses, and sings Ite Missa est. He moves to the left and recites the last Gospel, the prologue of the gospel of John. The priest and servers exit. Somewhat to my surprise since the liturgy had been so faithful to the pre-Vatican II Mass, there were no Leonine prayers.

REACTIONS. During the celebration I felt very uncomfortable. It was strange and foreign. Even though I was very familiar with the Tridentine Mass from my childhood, it seemed remote and distant. The Mass seemed to focus on the priest whose words for the most part could not be heard (they were in Latin anyway!) and who rarely faced the people. The choir performed well and their singing overrode the priest, who had to wait several times until they finished singing.

In my mind I could not but think back to the Second Vatican Council, and all that the Council and subsequent documents tried to bring about – active participation, emphasis on the important things, vernacular, elimination of accretions and repetitions, etc. It was sad and disheartening. What happened? Why would the Catholic faithful seek out and attend this older form of the Mass? Is the Tridentine Mass an aberration? What does it say about the reforms of Vatican II?

After the Mass, I was tempted to talk with some of those present. But I decided not to as I feared I would have been negative and perhaps controversial. My feelings were still very raw. One thing I know: I myself will never freely choose to celebrate the Tridentine Mass.

Nagash Demina
"I want you to be a pastor to my people, not an actor in a play that no one understands." That right there shows your error. Selfish people assume the Mass is said on their behalf to benefit selfish people. It's not. Sorry. The Mass is celebrated for one purpose and one purpose alone: to worship God. Here's a hint for you why you can't understand what the Priest is saying: he's not talking to you, he's talking to God. The self-centeredness and selfishness of humanity never ceases to amaze me....
Bob Baker
The Latin Mass brings back memories of altar serving and how I shall remember my first time (and how unprepared I was and how Father let me know it). We are there to celebrate the Mass and not as entertainment. I have experience years of the N.O. and some of the things I've seen are just plain scandalous. For instance, a water fight with the holy water at the altar between a Jesuit priest and a deacon; another Jesuit apologizing for the readings of the Mass; still another Jesuit who felt too hot and didn't vest correctly; and a diocesan priest who conducted the Mass like a Baptist healing service to name but a few (there is also the LA Religious Ed. Congress circus of Masses, but that's another story). These were not very spiritual and it seems the Mass is secondary to what many priests want to do, instead of their primary function. As a teacher, my students were very interested in the Latin Mass, though none had ever gone to one. Taking them to a local abbey, they also experience sext - I had been giving them elementary Latin, which also seemed to help. They ended up wanting more. I enjoy going to the TLM and I make no apologies for it.
Karen Costura
I think it's so sad that instead of uniting as one Church, we find the need to, in essence, ridicule each other's Mass choice. How ridiculous to say that one is not "properly" worshiping God if one chooses to attend a "teen Mass," or that a Tridentine Latin Mass is inferior because of the formality of it. Yes, perhaps I sound "Protestant" to many of you, having been born long after Vatican II, but, to me, there is no right way to worship God when it comes to the Mass. One is not more valid than the other. Both the traditional and the modern Masses are acceptable; attend whichever you prefer. My opinion, granted, means nothing. With that being said, I am 32 years old, and I represent the future of the Church. I have actively participated in my parish's Pastoral Council (for a five-year stint), and have served as the cantor/musician at our Saturday Mass for about 16 years now. I know what has hurt the Church, and news flash, folks: these types of issues (Latin v. Modern Mass) AIN'T IT. My father occasionally attends a Latin Mass in the town where I live (about a half hour drive for him), and he rants on and on about how much better it is. I tell him the following each time, and now I'm about to tell you: "Saying one Mass is better than other is like putting a jar of caviar in front of me on one side and my favorite pizza on the other; the caviar sure looks pretty and is quite the special feast, but I'll be damned if I don't love me some pizza!" Both have a place in this world, and quit acting like you're superior if you prefer one over the other.
Christian Corona
The Latin Mass is the extrodanary form of the mass and most people dont like it because it dosnt let them recieve communion in the hand and it is the most holy version of the mass and if you dont agree with me look at the saints they didnt go to a mass that is like the modern mass and look at the church attendance of the modern mass they are starting to lose attendance and the sspx is reciving more members because pepole are intrested in the latin mass it is the mass that converted me back to the Catholic Church
John Watkins
4 years ago
Poor Fr. Schineller. He can't figure out why anyone (except old codgers, perhaps?) would be attracted to the old liturgy. Here's a thought experiment, Fr. Try and imagine what these people are repelled by, instead of attracted by. Can you say 'Clown Masses'? How about 'Talk Show Host' Masses? Maybe a 'Stand-up Comic Mass'? Or my new favorite, the 'Estrogen Overload Mass'. You know, the one where the 'presider' is surrounded in the sanctuary by a dozen or so grumpy looking womyn who proceed to deliver communion to the 20 or so faithful (?) who snatch the Host as eagerly as Napolean snatched the crown from the Pope's hands as he crowned himself. Ring any bells here, Padre? And by the way, when is that scheduled 'renewal' of the Church ever going to take effect? When are all those Protestants that the New Mass was supposedly going to satisfy going to arrive? And when are Catholics going to stop fleeing? Does any of all that make you uncomfortable at all, Father? Or is that what you dreamed of back in 1965?
Nagash Demina
Agree 100%. It never cease to make me retch when I see the selfishness that some Catholics have in regards to the Holy Mass. The Mass is not celebrated for man's benefit, it is man celebrating the Mass to worship and give glory to God through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ. News Flash to Humanity: the Mass is not all about you! If you think so, well then you are the illegitimate child of the Novs Ordo "mass": self-centered, man-centered, in constant need of noise, entertainment, and coddling. If that is what a person needs, then may I suggest the Protestant snake-handlers down the road, as the Catholic way of life probably isn't for you. Thankfully, more and more every day the Catholic world is waking up from its slumber, growing weary of being in the world and of the world, weary of having been neutered into mute Protestantism and not so mute Protestant heresy, and going back to the TLM and back to being....CATHOLIC.
Dave Wygonowski
Spot on! That is pretty much all you see these days, anywhere you go to the new Mass.
r p
Poor you, having to witness ‘Estrogen Overload’ from all those women (yuck) waiting on the men up on the altar. We all know the church should be entirely run by men. Women need not apply. Go live in your world of just men, John, you love them so much.
Gerard LeBlond
"Somewhat to my surprise since the liturgy had been so faithful to the pre-Vatican II Mass, there were no Leonine prayers." The Leonine prayers are recited at the conclusion of "Low Masses" [2 Candles lit] and not at the end of "High Masses."
R Fedrigon
Father Schineller, Although your thoughtful article was written several years ago now, I wish I were at such a mass and that you could have pulled me aside afterwards. Here are some thoughts I might have shared after learning to reappreciate the Latin Mass: First, for me it more properly orders Jesus's two commandments of us. When attending Latin Mass, I immediately feel a real focus on God' presence more than on a community of faith as I believe the Novus Ordo Mass more purposely tries to stress. "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets." Moreover, in this modernist world where God is secondary or non-existent in our daily lives , it's really hard to work to put God first. For me the Latin Mass clearly helps as a more powerful and even artful weekly ritual to refocus in this respect. Secondly think Chesterton regarding our prideful preferences to change things: “Tradition means giving a vote to most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead…“Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who merely happen to be walking about. All democrats object to men being disqualified by the accident of birth; tradition objects to their being disqualified by the accident of death. Democracy tells us not to neglect a good man’s opinion, even if he is our groom; tradition asks us not to neglect a good man’s opinion, even if he is our father.” Thirdly, think Joseph Campbell: " I think ritual is very important." Although he was no Christian, he ironically helped plant a seed for my eventually becoming a Catholic revert after rejecting the Church as old fashioned and not relevant anymore. I later experienced that there is no more beautiful and ancient ritual than the Latin Mass. And finally, I wish you could have also questioned my 15-year old on this topic -- probing deeper than her initial reaction that it's boring and "I can't understand anything." You may have gained some further insights on how the keep cradle Catholics as lifelong devout Catholics which is a serious problem not apparently being corrected in the West by the Church's accommodations to modern culture.
Aaron Siering
This was very disconcerting to read. I don't understand how anybody with an S.J behind their name can be so ignorant about the Mass, which should be the central focus of any Catholic's life. I also don't believe all those below who write in support of the New Order Mass when they say they participate in that Mass, because their comments betray them. I've been to Byzantine Masses, Maronite Masses and there is arguably no more participatory a form of Christian Mass than the Roman Mass, and if you don't know how to participate in it then you have only been deceiving yourself about participating in any New Order Mass you attend. So this is why it is important. It is not about any superficial preference. It is about those of us who have really participated in Mass and have had an experiential encounter with Jesus in the Eucharist through it, that is really changing us into a Christian (in Greek Christian literally means little Christ--not a follower of Christ, but an actual Christ too) and those of you who profess Catholicism but who apparently have never truly been initiated into the Divine Mysteries through the Mass. For me--although granted in my two years in the faith (I am a convert from Atheism) I've read a lot, certainly, but my real instruction has come through direct experience through participation in the Mass. My sense of faith is born form the actual experience of the supernatural through the sacraments--as it should be for all Baptized and Confirmed Christians. So having said that here is one point of ignorance that really bothered me in Fr (?) Schindler's original post. The Cannon is not suppose to be read out loud. Because it is not a piece of theater. It is the one part of the Mass that the celebrate has to do alone. It is the part where the priest goes into the Holy of Holies. You know what the Priest will be praying because you'll have studied this part of the Mass on your own, and it is during this time that you offer up your own support for the Priest's work--just like children support their father--because as this point the Priest is both enacting the actions of High Priest in the Levitical sacrificial system and engaging in His priest hood through the order of Melchizedek that Christ made possible for him. This second system is Patriarchal because the father by virtue of being head of the household is de facto a priest.The Church by the way is a woman. We all enter into womanhood through the Church and strive to model ourselves after Mary even while the Priest plays the part of Fatherhood. There is profound theology of the sexes going on here that instruct in the way that God chose to order the world--you know the order Adam and Even rejected which led to the fall. This is an order that is an imitation of the Trinity and ends in man and women in a fruitful marriage, the Church to the Lamb. This is instructive because we were made to participate as family members in the Trinity's own Divine life, in ipse esse. The Mass here is a foretaste of this. I also think this is what people who get the Roman Mass are instinctively attracted to. It is ordered around God and Trinitian in focus, while the New Order Mass is ordered around man, himself. Now for the rest of the comments I believe by and large people supporting the New Order Mass are confusing entertainment with participation because they've never actually ever participated in a Mass and don't consequently know what such participation is genuinely suppose to feel like. However one can think of it this way. Imagine you are big Neil Diamond fan, because it's kitsch or whatever. You know all the words to his songs and one day you get to see him in concert. You go and it was an elaborate performance with a whole choir of back up singers. Two days later you still feel on top of the world. He really did his job in entertaining you. However you will not be receiving a paycheck for the concert unlike the back up signers who will. Because you didn't really participate in the sense of be a performer or as we'd say about the mass a celebrant. Even though you sung every word to every song you were only there to be entertained. Your participation such as it was was as an audience member. You might have done more singing than the back up singers who only sang their assigned parts, but you weren't part of the offering. You were the recipient of it all. The show was put on for you. It is kind of perverse really because God is suppose to be the recipient of the Mass, it is being offer to him, after all. But yet in reality the New Order Mass makes the congregation the recipient. I suppose here God is the bored passive viewer? The Novus Order Mass by its very rubrics makes you an audience member. It may move you sentimentally and give you a sense of well being., but when you left you haven't really participated in a Mass. However when you understand the theology behind the Roman Mass and what every little part means and you stand, sit or kneel behind the priest and say your assigned parts--those server parts in the Roman Mass are your parts btw. Then you have genuinely offered up the representation of the Crucifixion and Resurrection of our Lord and Savior to our Father in heaven. When even priests confess they don't genuinely know what its like to be a celebrant in a Mass that is when you know we have real problems, and this may actually be the most serve crises in the 2000 year history of the Roman church--although it has also spread to other sui juris Catholic churches to be sure.
Rob Howell
Aaron: Thank you for your comment on the mass, very insightful. I noticed you said you were an atheist but converted to Catholicism. What made you change your mind? I am struggling with this with a family member who now professes to be atheist - said he has been enlightened due to science and facts. I truly believe it was a liberal professor in college (philosophy) that has filled his mind with this nonsense. Any advice or input on how to go about this would be welcomed! Also, like the time that you posted your comment! Thnks, Rob
Patrick Cullen
Interesting perspective. The comments about feeling uncomfortable; the mass feeling strange and foreign. That's how I felt every time I attended the OF. It felt too much like a performance and not enough like Divine Liturgy. That's why I left the latin rite and moved to the Byzantine Ruthenians.
Stephen Johns
Bear in mind that, in 1997, Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger (later Pope Benedict XVI) published a volume under the title Milestones: Memoirs 1927 - 1977. In it he wrote: "There is no doubt that this new missal [after Vatican II] in many respects brought with it a real improvement and enrichment; but setting it as a new construction over against what had grown historically, forbidding the results of this historical growth, thereby makes the liturgy appear to be no longer a living development but the product of erudite work and juridical authority; this has caused us enormous harm. For then the impression had to emerge that liturgy is something ‘made’, not something given in advance but something lying within our own power of decision. From this it also follows that we are not to recognize the scholars and the central authority alone as decision makers, but that in the end each and every ‘community’ must provide itself with its own liturgy. When liturgy is self-made, however, then it can no longer give us what its proper gift should be: the encounter with the mystery that is not our own product but rather our origin and the source of our life. A renewal of liturgical awareness, a liturgical reconciliation that again recognizes the unity of the history of the liturgy and that understands Vatican II, not as a breach, but as a stage of development: these things are urgently needed for the life of the Church. "I am convinced that the crisis in the Church that we are experiencing today is to a large extent due to the disintegration of the liturgy, which at times has even come to be conceived of etsi Deus non daretur, in that it is a matter of indifference whether or not God exists and whether or not he speaks to us and hears us. But when the community of faith, the worldwide unity of the Church and her history, and the mystery of the living Christ are no longer visible in the liturgy, where else, then, is the Church to become visible in her spiritual essence? Then the community is celebrating only itself, an activity that is utterly fruitless. And because the ecclesial community cannot have its origin from itself but emerges as a unity only from the Lord, through faith, such circumstances will inexorably result in a disintegration into sectarian parties of all kinds - partisan opposition within a Church tearing herself apart". On Sunday I was at a "happy clappy" baptism service. No renunciation of the Devil, no mention of original sin. All very Evangelical in a Catholic Church which had no crucifix - only a cross, no Stations of the Cross and crumbs of the (hand distributed) consecrated Host from the preceding Mass scattered on the table which served as an altar as well as some on the floor. Although I am a Traditionalist by nature, I accept that many prefer the new forms of the Mass and that there is room for both in the Church. But this was just too much.
Phillip Stone
I am an Australian born during the second world war and subject to the Vatican one version of the Irish Catholic church then established all over our country, then treated by Rome as a missionary area, not a fully kosher church. In my very early teens, the dogmatic and rigid puritanical spirit of the communion was so obvious, the congregational hatred and rejection of all other baptised people as not really Christian, the forbidding of us attending the weddings, baptisms or funerals of friends and families, nay even going into their churches scandalised me. I spat Catholicism out of my mouth, knocked the dust of the district from my sandals, and moved on. Fulton Sheen, Thomas Merton and C S Lewis aided by G K Chesterton and the Jerusalem bible were my companions on the road. Then an obvious Christian began as the bishop of Rome - he heard the voice of God and did his duty - called the fellowship of believers together and what he started eventually began to turn the huge, inert, ponderous ship about and onto the straight and narrow. The ceremony enacted in Catholic churches in most parishes in Australia is now following the Ordo Missae unless they are Carmelite or Jesuit parishes who have their own but very similar. If that blessed man who is now canonised had been disobedient, the entire community governed from Rome would have soon been in apostasy - indistinguishable from other Jewish sects. They who stayed in the past did so for carnal selfish reasons and the only ones who have my sympathy are the very elderly priests and religious beyond retiring age who were permitted through compassion to stay within the discarded and outmoded culture out of our love and pity.
Cindy Brolsma
I've come to believe that many priests dislike the Tridentine Mass because they don't understand it, believe parishioners don't like it, and they feel slightly inadequate for not knowing how to celebrate it. I'm glad that Pope Benedict XVI was able to create, in his gentle way, an opportunity for there to be a big tent - so that Catholics who need the profound and spritual nourishment of the the Latin Mass can live harmoniously with Catholics who need a more communitarian approach to Mass, a majority of whom have never experienced the old Mass and would find it utterly disorienting.
Patrick Burdick
A sad state of affairs indeed, when an ordained Catholic priest finds the TLM repulsive. It just underscores the degree of deviation from traditional Catholic teaching and liturgical practice that has put the Church into a tailspin since the Second Vatican Council. The devolved Novus Ordo Mass has become so Protestantized that the faithful in the pews--as well as priests at the Altar, apparently--cannot recognize the orthopraxis of Catholic orthodoxy, i.e. in the TLM. Even more sad is the fact of Francis' pontificate, which has put deconstructionist, neo-Jesuitical heterodoxy at the service of modernism with the view toward destroying the Catholic Faith. Personally, I am fed up with this hyper-liberal order whose latest scandals must be giving cause for St. Ignatius Loyola to be turning over in his crypt. The "S.J." trailer has become, by-and-large, a proscription on orthodoxy.
Art Doe
3 years 1 month ago
So what you have clearly demonstrated is that the Tridentine Mass and the Novus Ordo Mass are liturgies for two DIFFERENT religions. There is no unity between the two. As well as the newer "teachings" of Vatican II. Recall that the Church has 4 marks: Unity, Holiness, Universal, Apostolic. Therefore, one of these two religions is the Roman Catholic Church, and the other is NOT. Which one? I'll stick with Ss. Peter and Paul, St. Pius V and Pius X. Good luck to you my friend.
Syme Smith
I have been with the Catholic Church for a long time. Several decades now, since childhood. Having been born after Vatican II, I did not grow up with the Latin Mass and am just beginning to learn about it. I found this article as part of that effort. The more I learn, the more the Tridentine Mass makes sense and seems right. I do not understand why custodians of the faith go to so much trouble today to obstruct it. It seems to me that this venerable liturgy points directly at the solution for our world in crisis. This liturgy makes crystal clear that God must be our focus, the principle commanding our attention and guiding our action. First of all. Otherwise everything else is mere distraction. This truth and this spirit are often missing in our time. But how do you want people to keep God in front of them in the strife and stress of every day life, when God's presence in his own sanctuary must compete with so many other interests and egos? So what could we need more today than an unequivocal (and beautiful) reminder that is given in this liturgy? How could that possibly be a bad thing? To be clear, I enjoy the Mass liturgy at my parish church and I will continue to go. Thanks to what I have learned about the Latin Mass, I will try more than ever to focus on God's presence through the modern liturgy. But I will also seek out a Tridentine Mass. I wish this were more readily accessible! And I hope that it will become so. In fact, let me thank here the priests and others who are working to keep this liturgy alive! This is a wonderful gift to humanity. I would also urge those who seem not to favor the old Latin Mass nevertheless not to ostracize those who do. At the very least, the Catholic Church should not merely tolerate but rather embrace those who ask only to praise God as best, as totally, and as beautifully as they can.
Henry George

I read all the comments, and, frankly, the attacks, some very personal.

If someone finds solace in the Traditional Mass, how does that offend you ?

If someone find solace in the Novus Ordo Mass, how does that offend you ?

I attend two parishes that have priests who differ greatly in how they

celebrate. One talks more about himself than anyone I know and his

homilies ramble on and on and on. He rushes through the Gospel and the

Canon. The other priests reads the Gospel very slowly. His Homilies are

about how we can grow closer to God and how we must forgive one another.

The Canon is said slowly.

Why do people say the Priest "mumbles" his prayers at the Traditional

Masses, and why do they dismiss what went on at those Masses ?

I just attended a Mass where the Choir, in the front of the Church,

dominated the Liturgy. Very little participation in the singing by the

congregation. [ Now we know why the Choir was put up high in the

back of the Church, too may choir members think the liturgy is about

them ? ]

Live and let live. If you like the Traditional Mass you should be allowed

to attend it. If you like the Novus Ordo Mass, feel free to attend that.

Finally there seems to be some sort of conflation going on - if you like

the TM then you must have be in favor of returning to the authoritarian

days of old in the Church. If you like the Novus Ordo then the Holy Spirit

governs all your actions.

I just had a long conversation with a friend who was summarily and

unjustly and illicitly dismissed from the Seminary. No Vatican II

treatment as a member of the People of God for him, Authoritarianism

still dominates the church, how sad that the real purpose of Vatican II

is still so ignored and disrespected by those in power.

Fredric J. Einstein

I am a yeshiva trained Jew who has studied the Jewish perspectives on the service performed by the High Priest in the Second Temple on the Day of Atonement (Yom Kippur). The Mass promulgated by St. Gregory the Great and kept alive since the 6th century as the Tridentine Mass was given by the Holy Spirit to the Church as a TRUE FULFILLMENT of the service of the High Priest in the Temple. Not a substitute, but a FULFILLMENT..... I have studied the Novus Ordo in depth, and although it may make for better "audience participation", it LACKS many elements that made the Tridentine Mass the fulfillment of the Yom Kippur service of the High Priest. Remember also, that at no time in either the First or Second Holy Temples was there "audience participation". The Levi'im sang and the Cohan'im (descendents of Aaron) offered up the Sacrifices that are FULFILLED in the the Sacrifice of the Mass (as well as in the Eastern Catholic Divine Service). The Novus Ordo was designed by people ignorant of the services in the Holy Temples and was ONLY designed to make it more palatable to the "TV Generation", not with any theological scholarship nor with the blessings of the Holy Spirit. It's time to do WHAT IS RIGHT IN THE EYES OF THE HOLY TRINITY and not what is "fun to do". If you want to discard the Latin language, that's all fine and dandy, but the changes that Bugnini and his evil crew did to the liturgy have brought anger from heaven on God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church and drove the faithful away from the Church. I would be glad to educate the author of this article on what's missing in the Novus Ordo and why it is utterly and totally disqualified from FULFILLING what God commanded of His people in Exodus, Leviticus and Numbers.

From a unity deeper than citizenship, that of baptism, we implore our fellow Christians: Join us in denouncing this violence, and help us understand what distance is left between that nationalism and yours.
David AlbertsonSeptember 19, 2019
Pope Francis poses for a photo on Sept. 18 with members of a U.S. delegation that traveled to Rome to present the results of the Fifth National Encuentro to the pope and top Vatican officials.
Some 40 percent of the U.S. Catholic community has a Hispanic background and that “more than 50 percent of the Catholics in the United States under the age of 18 are Hispanic.”
Gerard O’ConnellSeptember 19, 2019
It is not about the individual as much as the movement that gave Donald Trump power. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)
Holly Taylor Coolman writes that her pro-life views, empathy for some Republican voters and unease with polarization has complicated her early and consistent opposition to Donald Trump.
Holly Taylor CoolmanSeptember 19, 2019
Non-scale spiritual victories come when we see ourselves clearly and holistically, when we pray without prodding because God is real and someone to talk to.
Simcha FisherSeptember 19, 2019