‘Becoming the writer-monk’: Mary Gordon on Thomas Merton

Trappist Father Thomas Merton in an undated photo (CNS photo/Merton Legacy Trust and the Thomas Merton Center at Bellarmine University).

The fascinating premise of Mary Gordon’s lovely little book On Thomas Merton is that, except for his extensive correspondence with Evelyn Waugh and Czeslaw Milosz, Thomas Merton was without literary peers who could perceptively judge, critique and improve his writing. And so in this monograph she has taken up the task to address him, “writer to writer.” She does that by examining the enormous popularity of The Seven Storey Mountain, his quirky 1941 novel My Argument with the Gestapo (which was only published after his accidental death in Thailand) and the seven volumes of journal entries from 1939 to 1968 that probably represent his highest artistic achievement.

On Thomas Mertonby Mary Gordon

Shambhala, 160p $22.95

With 600,000 hardcover copies sold in 1948, The Seven Storey Mountain, she writes, “is not a book, it is a phenomenon, its success at once traceable and mysterious.” In this frank, passionate memoir of religious conversion, the not-yet-ordained Trappist monk accounts for his childhood in France, a boarding school education in England, a child-out-of-wedlock scandal at Cambridge and then his final undergraduate and graduate years as an English major at Columbia University, where he also converted to Roman Catholicism and finally, remarkably, his entrance into the Cistercian Abbey of Gethsemani in Kentucky at the age of 26. Gordon faults the autobiography for its “triumphalist rhetoric, the boosterism, the Manichean self-loathing and hatred of the world and the flesh, and the cavalier dismissal of other faith traditions.” She notes that just three years after its publication even Thomas Merton himself said the man who wrote it was dead. Yet she praises his book for “scenes [that] are Merton at his best: demotic but precise; fully realized sensually; moving slowly from the physical to the metaphysical, not pole-vaulting from one to the other, as he does in too many of his theological writings.”

My Argument with the Gestapo was written in the summer of 1941 when Thomas Merton was vexed by the yearning for a religious vocation and teaching English at St. Bonaventure University in upstate New York. He called the novel a “divertissement” and “a sardonic meditation on the world in which I then found myself: an attempt to define its predicament and my own place in it.”

Mary Gordon accords her highest praise for Thomas Merton's journals, where “his talent for description is greatest. When his senses are fully engaged, his writing comes most vividly alive."

It is a hallucinatory report on wartime Europe by a first-person narrator named Thomas Merton who has overindulged in James Joyce. And despite the book’s title, Nazi thugs make no appearance in it. In a 1969 book review of the posthumously published book, critic John Leonard wrote: “Compounded in equal parts of autobiography, spiritual passage and incantatory tour de force, it is less a conventional novel than a word-drunk, panic stricken, sorrowful-hilarious journal by a man hounded by and hounding after the idea of God.”

Mary Gordon notes: “The Seven Storey Mountain put him on the map; it made him a best seller. Its formal straightforwardness made it accessible to a large audience, who would have been baffled and alienated by My Argument with the Gestapo.... His success came about, then, not from following the daring path of [the novel] but by turning radically away from it, becoming the writer-monk, writing what would be of use.”

She accords her highest praise for the 2,500 pages of journals, where “his talent for description is greatest. When his senses are fully engaged, his writing comes most vividly alive.... I detect a much greater sense of spiritual vitality in his journal passages than I do in his books that are self-consciously ‘spiritual.’ In those, I feel the strain, an excessive abstraction that leads to flaccid and disembodied language. But from the very first pages of the journals, everything he describes using sensory language shimmers and resonates.”

Mary Gordon is the author of eight critically acclaimed novels, including There Your Heart Lies; six works of nonfiction, including the memoirs of her parents The Shadow Man and Circling My Mother; and three collections of short stories. A highly regarded professor of English at Barnard College, she brings to this book on Merton what he himself often offered others: the frank convictions of a practiced teacher, the certainty of an established critic, and the sympathy of a successful writer who is equally aware of struggle.

Beth Cioffoletti
3 months ago

Interesting that Ms. Gordon sees Merton's journals as his highest artistic achievement. Merton held his journals close, and was both protective and somewhat embarrassed by them, frequently trying to let go of his journaling. Thank God he never did.

Rhett Segall
3 months ago

Merton's writings have enriched my life for a half century. A Merton scholar tells me everything he wrote was written with publication in mind. I wonder whether such a mind set alters inherent experience. Are his journals a dialogue not only with himself but also with readers? Are his letters not only a dialogue with the addressee but also with his readers? Should this influence how we read him? Regardless, he is still a gift!

Steve Magnotta
3 months ago

"Flaccid and disembodied language" in books that are "self-consciously 'spiritual'"? I've read more than one, and I beg to differ. Particularly in the case of 'New Seeds of Contemplation', which I'm in the midst of reading for the third time. The language is staggeringly effective. Since Brother Louis wrote so voluminously in his journals, I imagine he had very definite and clear thinking as to what to publish and what not to publish. I'm sure reading the journals would be a treat; everything I've read of his has been a feast.
Still, it'd be one thing to see Ted Williams take batting practice in 1959, and quite another to see him play in 1941.

Michael Houlder
3 months ago

Evelyn Waugh wrote a very much shortened version of the 'The Seven Storey Mountain' called 'Elected Silence'. For me on my journey to the novitiate so many years ago. 'Elected Silence' captured my heart in a way that the Thomas Merton original would not & could not do. Simplicity, clarity and concentration are the marks of Waugh's version. Personally, I would recommend anyone to read first 'Elected Silence' before reading the Merton original.

Hilary Hutchinson
3 months ago

I loved Merton's The Seven Storey Mountain, but never understood the meaning of the title. However, I had a friend named Scott who had a personal library of all of Merton's books and books written about Merton which I could borrow if I ever needed another Merton fix. I like some of Mary Gordon's books also.

Todd Witherell
2 months 4 weeks ago

On Thomas Merton

Partially deceived
by the (alas!) imperialist and kooky
D.T. Suzuki

Not fully aware
Of all the ambition and drama
Surrounding the Dalai Lama

But right spot on
Regarding his brother
Thich Nhat Hanh

Zara Brown
2 months 4 weeks ago

Glad to read this article! Just think that a book sold 600000 copies just after the end. It says all about the book. Writer Thomas Merton was one of the pillars of modern writing. The name of the article shoots me the most the writer monk. It is true that his writing has the magic and it keep the people o age. But there is something him that makes me feel sad that we do not get much of this brilliant writer of our time. This journal will surely be a testimony of the writer. anyway, I am also working as a professional writer at a famous writing agency in london, Interested people can also try Uk.EduBirdie.com for more inspiration about writing. I have been works in this writing sector more than five years and I love to sharing my knowledge and helping people for their writing solution.

Paul J. Griffiths’s latest book, Christian Flesh, seeks a speculative account “of human flesh in particular and Christian flesh in particular.”
Justin Shaun CoyleApril 19, 2019
In his new book about his work, Robert Caro explains why it takes so many years to research and write his books.
Kevin SpinaleApril 19, 2019
The nation’s nonfiction bard, Michael Lewis, makes the case that our government is more important—and competent—than we realize.
John W. MillerApril 19, 2019
Rather than framing moral philosophy as just another form of epistemology (how can we know what to do?), Iris Murdoch was asking a more classical question: “How can we make ourselves morally better?” she asks. “These are the questions the philosopher should try to answer.”
James K. A. SmithApril 10, 2019