Few at Mexico-U.S. border will have asylum claims accepted, priest says

Central Americans walk to the U.S.-Mexico border crossing April 29 in Tijuana, where they presented themselves for asylum. (CNS photo/David Maung)

MEXICO CITY (CNS) -- The first members of the Central American caravan of migrants have been allowed to make asylum claims, but a Scalabrinian priest said "very, very few" have their applications accepted.

Some 20 members of the caravan, which traveled across Mexico and arrived in Tijuana on the U.S. border in late April, were forced to wait overnight by U.S. Customs and Border Protection, which said it lacked to capacity to process them.

Advertisement

Scalabrinian Father Pat Murphy, who directs a migrant shelter in Tijuana, said the port of entry has seen many asylum seekers of late, but noted that U.S. officials "knew this was coming, so I'm not sure what happened."

"Those that are in the caravan, 75 percent of them won't be accepted," he added. "That's been the number over the years."

The annual Stations of the Cross Caravan is organized around every Easter to move Central American migrants from Mexico's southern border with Guatemala to the U.S. border. The caravan is designed to help the migrants travel safely through Mexico, which has become treacherous for those without the proper papers.

The number of participants in the 2018 caravan swelled to more than 1,000 as hundreds of Hondurans joined in, a reflection of the political oppression in the country, where elections were allegedly rigged and the army was sent to quell dissent.

The caravan became controversial, however, after some conservative media outlets warned of an "invasion" and U.S. President Donald Trump started tweeting his dismay with the convoy moving apparently unimpeded through Mexico.

The numbers dwindled as the caravan traversed Mexico. Organizers say more of the migrants ended up seeking asylum in Mexico rather than risking the U.S. border and uncertainties in the U.S. immigration system. Some were scared off by the prospect of being held indefinitely in detention centers and being separated from their children.

"A lot of it has to do with anti-immigrant rhetoric and the idea that the United States is no longer a welcoming place," said Alex Mensing, spokesman for Pueblos Sin Fronteras, which organized the caravan.

The number of participants in the 2018 caravan swelled to more than 1,000 as hundreds of Hondurans joined in, a reflection of the political oppression in the country, where elections were allegedly rigged and the army was sent to quell dissent.

"Some people don't feel afraid to be in Mexico," he added, "but the idea that Mexico is a safe third county is not true for many, many people."

Mexican immigration officials issued temporary documents to caravan participants, but additional federal police were sent to the southern border region, the way National Guard soldiers were sent to the U.S. border with Mexico.

Mexico detains and deports thousands of Central Americans each month, even as it complains of the mistreatment of its own citizens living in the United States.

The Catholic Church has long worked with migrants transiting Mexico, with priests, religious and lay Catholics opening and operating shelters along railway lines -- until recently the migrants' preferred route -- the length of the country.

Some in the hierarchy, however, had shown a disinterest in migration matters and even preferred to side with politicians acting against the operations of shelters, according to priests and religious who work with migrants.

"Things have changed because (Cardinal) Carlos Aguiar (Retes of Mexico City) is making a total change in the direction of the church," said Father Alejandro Solalinde, an activist priest in Oaxaca, who had previously wanted to open a migrant shelter in Mexico City, but found little church interest.

In his April 28 homily, Cardinal Aguiar called for solidarity with migrants.

"As Christian communities, as churches, today more than ever ... we must be open to help those in need, those at risk of losing their lives, to give them an opportunity to continue living and preaching the Lord," he said.

Comments are automatically closed two weeks after an article's initial publication. See our comments policy for more.
Tim Donovan
5 months 2 weeks ago

As a Catholic who lives in a nursing home/rehabilitation center, a number of the staff are immigrants from African nations, including Liberia and Sierra Leone. Also, years ago when I worked at a group home serving disabled men, several of my co-workers were immigrants from Liberia, who had fled from a brutal civil war to seek a better life in our nation. I pray that our nation will change it's policies, and accept more immigrants who are fleeing from povertty, war, or government corruption.

Advertisement

The latest from america

 10.17.2018 Pope Francis greets Cardinal Blase J. Cupich of Chicago before a session of the Synod of Bishops on young people, the faith and vocational discernment at the Vatican Oct. 16. (CNS photo/Vatican Media)
“We take people where they are, walking with them, moving forward,” Cardinal Blase Cupich said.
Michael J. O’LoughlinOctober 20, 2018
Catherine Pakaluk, who currently teaches at the Catholic University of America and holds a Ph.D. in Economics from Harvard University, describes her tweet to Mr. Macron as “spirited” and “playful.”
Emma Winters October 19, 2018
A new proposal from the Department of Homeland Security could make it much more difficult for legal immigrants to get green cards in the United States. But even before its implementation, the proposal has led immigrants to avoid receiving public benefits.
J.D. Long-GarcíaOctober 19, 2018
 Archbishop Carlo Maria Vigano, then nuncio to the United States, and then-Cardinal Theodore E. McCarrick of Washington, are seen in a combination photo during the beatification Mass of Blessed Miriam Teresa Demjanovich at the Cathedral Basilica of the Sacred Heart in Newark, N.J., Oct. 4, 2014. (CNS photo/Gregory A. Shemitz)
In this third letter Archbishop Viganò no longer insists, as he did so forcefully in his first letter, that the restrictions that he claimed Benedict XVI had imposed on Archbishop McCarrick—one he alleges that Pope Francis later lifted—can be understood as “sanctions.”
Gerard O’ConnellOctober 19, 2018