This week on “Inside the Vatican,” Gerry and I update you on who Pope Francis has chosen to make cardinals next month. The surprise announcement came after the pope was stuck in an elevator for 25 minutes! In this episode, we break down who has been chosen for a red hat, and what these selections tell us about the pope’s priorities.
Next, we talk about the fires that have raged in the Amazon rainforest and the tension that is growing between the Catholic church in Brazil and the Bolsonaro administration there. What is it about the Synod on the Amazon that makes the government so nervous?
Finally, we’ll give you an update on the case of Cardinal George Pell, the Australian Cardinal found guilty of sexually abusing a child last year. His most recent appeal was rejected, but the Vatican’s investigation may continue for years.
Links from the show:
- Pope to create 13 new cardinals in October, including three Jesuits
- Pope Francis rescued from trapped elevator by Vatican firefighters
- Pope Francis urges action to save burning Amazon rainforest
- Latin American bishops sound the alarm: “If the Amazon suffers, the world suffers”
- Vatican issues statement after Australian court dismisses Cardinal Pell’s appeal