Vatican investigates Indonesian priest accused of having a mistress, misappropriating funds

(iStock)

JAKARTA, Indonesia (CNS)—The Vatican has appointed an apostolic visitor to investigate claims by Indonesian priests that their bishop had a mistress and misappropriated church funds.

Bishop Antonius Subianto Bunyamin of Bandung, Indonesia, told ucanews.com Aug. 8 that the Vatican had asked him to look into the accusations against Bishop Hubertus Leteng of Ruteng, Indonesia.

Advertisement

Bishop Bunyamin, also general secretary of the Indonesian bishops' conference, was scheduled to visit the diocese on Catholic-majority Flores Island during the week of Aug. 14, ucanews.com reported.

The appointment followed social media postings that Catholics in the Ruteng Diocese living in Jakarta would gather at the apostolic nunciature for a vigil calling for a speedy resolution to the situation.

Bishop Bunyamin said the gathering would "worsen the situation." He said the dispute was "tarnishing the church's image."

The conflict erupted June 12 when 69 diocesan priests submitted letters of resignation, leaving their positions as episcopal vicars and parish priests and demanding that Bishop Leteng change how the diocese is run.

The move followed allegations last year that the bishop secretly borrowed $94,000 from the Indonesian bishops' conference and $30,000 from the diocese without providing accounting for how the money was spent.

Reports indicated that the disagreement among the priests and the bishop emerged during a meeting in which he explained that the money was used to finance the education of a youth from a poor family who was studying to be a pilot in the United States. When asked for details, he told them that it was none of their business.

However, the priests said they suspected the money went to a woman with whom they alleged the bishop was having an affair. The alleged relationship between the bishop and the woman surfaced in 2014 after a priest who chose to leave the priesthood publicly discussed it.

Bishop Leteng denied the charge, calling it "slanderous."

Bishop Bunyamin asked people to be patient and let the church investigation unfold before drawing conclusions on their own.

"We continue to appreciate the principle of presumption of innocence," he said.

Comments are automatically closed two weeks after an article's initial publication. See our comments policy for more.

Advertisement
More: Asia / Vatican / Bishops

Don't miss the best from America

Sign up for our Newsletter to get the Jesuit perspective on news, faith and culture.

The latest from america

Chilean clerical sex abuse survivors Juan Carlos Cruz, James Hamilton and Jose Andres Murillo in Rome, May 2. The three met Pope Francis individually at the Vatican April 27-29. The Vatican announced on May 22 that a second group of abuse victims will visit the pope in June (CNS photo/Paul Haring).
The encounters will take place from June 1-3 at Santa Marta, the Vatican guesthouse where Francis lives.
Gerard O’ConnellMay 22, 2018
Pope Francis talks with Cardinal Sean P. O'Malley of Boston, president of the Pontifical Commission for the Protection of Minors, as they arrive for a meeting in the synod hall at the Vatican in this Feb. 13, 2015, file photo. (CNS photo/Paul Haring) 
Righteous call-outs should be patterned after Cardinal O’Malley’s rebuke of Pope Francis on sex abuse.
Simcha FisherMay 22, 2018
In May, my cousin Christina and her husband Tyler were murdered in their home.
John J. ConleyMay 22, 2018
Follow Father Arturo Sosa's first visit to the Jesuits in Canada!
America StaffMay 22, 2018