Pope Francis deplores the attacks in Paris as "not human"

Armed police officers go on foot patrol around Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris Nov. 14. Dozens of people were killed in a series of attacks in Paris Nov. 13. (CNS photo/Ian Langsdon, EPA)

Pope Francis has mentioned previously his understanding of the world engaged in a kind of piecemeal World War III. Saturday morning in an interview with the Italian Bishops’ Conference official television network, he described last night’s atrocity in Paris as “a piece” of that broad collection of small wars, adding “there is no religious or human justification for it.” Pope Francis said the attacks are “not human.”

“I am close to the people of France, to the families of the victims, and I am praying for all of them,” Pope Francis said. “I am moved and I am saddened. I do not understand; these things hard to understand.”

Advertisement

President François Hollande on Saturday blamed the Islamic State for the terrorist attacks in Paris on Friday, as the death toll rose to 129 victims, with 352 others injured, 99 of them with serious injuries. In a statement released on the Internet, the group took credit for the overnight mayhem. Hollande vowed to “be unforgiving with the barbarians from Daesh.” He said that France would act within the law but with “all the necessary means, and on all terrains, inside and outside, in coordination with our allies, who are, themselves, targeted by this terrorist threat.”

He declared three days of national mourning and said that military troops would patrol the capital. France remained under a nationwide state of emergency.

In Rome, Federico Lombardi, S.J., told Vatican Radio the aftermath of the attacks in Paris is no time to stop plans for the church’s Jubilee Year of Mercy. “In these sad days, in which murderous violence has reared its insane, horrible head, many wonder how to respond,” Lombardi said in a statement. “Some people are already asking how to live the experience of these last days of waiting before the opening of the Jubilee [of Mercy]. Be on guard: these murderers, possessed by a senseless hatred, are called ‘terrorists’ precisely because they want to spread terror. If we let ourselves be frightened, they will have already reached their first objective. This, then, is one more reason to resist with determination and courage the temptation to fear.”

He added, “It goes without saying that we must be cautious and not irresponsible: we must take precautions that are reasonable. Nevertheless, we must go on living by building peace and mutual trust. So I would say that the Jubilee of Mercy shows itself even more necessary—a message of mercy, that love of God which leads to mutual love and reconciliation. This is precisely the answer we must give in times of temptation to mistrust.”

Noting the pope’s reference to “a third world war being fought piecemeal,” Lombardi said there remains a need for a message of mercy “to make us capable of building bridges, and, in spite of everything, to have the courage of love.”

He concluded, “This is, therefore, no time to give up the Jubilee, or to be afraid. We need the Jubilee more than ever. We have to live with prudent intelligence, but also with courage and spiritual élan, continuing to look to the future with hope, despite the attacks of hatred. Pope Francis guides us and invites us to trust in the Spirit of the Lord who accompanies us.”

The Archbishop of Paris, Cardinal André Vingt-Trois, issued a statement today condemning the attacks on his city, praising first responders and urging unity in the wake of terror attacks that killed at least 128 people overnight. “Our city of Paris, our country, was hit last night with particular savagery and intensity,” he said. “After the attacks of last January, after the attack in Beirut this week and many others in these past months, including in Nigeria and other African countries, our country knows anew the pain of grief and must face the barbarism spread by fanatical groups.”

The cardinal urged prayers “for those who were killed yesterday and for their families, for the injured and their loved ones and for those who are hard at work assisting them, for the police forces who face formidable challenges, and for our leaders and country, so that together we will remain in unity and peace of heart.” He ordered the parishes of Paris to strictly comply with security measures issued by public authorities and “I ask them to make today and tomorrow days of mourning and prayer.”

“Sunday evening at 18.30 I will preside at Mass at Notre-Dame de Paris for the victims and their families and for our country,” he said, “the bell of the cathedral will toll at 18.15.

“Faced with the violence of men, may we receive the grace of a firm heart, without hatred,” Cardinal Vingt-Trois said. “May the moderation, temperance and control that has been shown so far, be confirmed in the weeks and months to come; let no one indulge in panic or hatred. We ask that grace be the artisan of peace. We need never despair of peace if we build on justice.”

Comments are automatically closed two weeks after an article's initial publication. See our comments policy for more.
alan macdonald
2 years 6 months ago
This is a product of the migration or Hejira, moving to spread Islam, that is engulfing Europe. To denounce this immediately brands one a racist. To support it falls into the hands of the jihadists. There will be many more "Parises" as we are absolutely not prepared.

Advertisement

Don't miss the best from America

Sign up for our Newsletter to get the Jesuit perspective on news, faith and culture.

The latest from america

Education Secretary Betsy DeVos testifies at a House Committee on Education and the Workforce, Tuesday, May 22, 2018, on Capitol Hill in Washington. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)
The Secretary of Education stirred up controversy when she said it was up to schools to decide if an undocumented student should be reported to authorities.
J.D. Long-GarcíaMay 25, 2018
Thousands gathered in Dublin May 12 to say "Love Both" and "Vote No" to abortion on demand. They were protesting abortion on demand in the forthcoming referendum May 25. (CNS photo/John McElroy)
“Priests and bishops get verbal abuse by being told, ‘How can you speak for women? You don’t know what it’s like!’”
America StaffMay 25, 2018
The coffin containing the body of St. John XXIII is seen during a ceremony in Vittorio Veneto Square after its arrival in Bergamo, Italy, May 24. The body of the late pope left the Vatican on May 24 to be displayed in his home region until June 10. (CNS photo/Paul Haring)

BERGAMO, Italy (CNS) — Accompanied by Bishop Francesco Beschi of Bergamo and escorted by both Italian and Vatican police officers, the glass coffin containing the body of St. John XXIII left the Vatican early on May 24 for a 370-mile drive to Bergamo.

On this week's episode, we talk with Lieutenant Governor of Washington State, Cyrus Habib.
Olga SeguraMay 25, 2018