This week on “Inside the Vatican,” Gerry and I talk briefly about the horrific fire at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris. Then, we’ll explain why the world took note when Pope Francis kissed the feet of South Sudanese leaders.
We’ll also talk about a new letter from Pope Emeritus Benedict that addressed the sexual abuse crisis. We go through some of the questions that journalists are raising about the circumstances under which the letter was written and distributed.
Finally, I ask Gerry to share one of my favorite stories from his new book on the conclave that elected Pope Francis.
Links from the show:
- Father James Martin: Where was God when Notre Dame was in flames?
- Grieving the fire of Notre Dame during Holy Week
- Watch: Pope Francis kisses the feet of South Sudan leaders to beg for peace
- Pope Benedict’s letter on sex abuse is not an attack on Francis (or Vatican II)
- Exclusive: Inside the election of Pope Francis