Fr. James Martin, S.J.: Be kind this Lent

Photo by Sandrachile . on Unsplash

Subscribe to “The Examen” for free on Apple Podcasts

Subscribe to “The Examen” for free on Google Play

Join our Patreon Community

What are you giving up for Lent? Well, instead of giving something up how about doing something positive. How about this: Be kind. And let me suggest. First: Give people the benefit of the doubt. After all, why not? Everyone is carrying around some sort of burden. Usually one that you don't even know about. So give them a break. Second: Honor the absent. When you're talking about people who aren’t there be kind. Spiritually speaking, it's essential. It's part of charity. Practically speaking, it makes sense too. Why? Because you'll feel crummy about yourself afterwards. Because the person you're complaining to will probably see you as negative. Finally, because it will probably get back to them. More to the point, it's mean. Finally: Don't be a jerk. There is no need to be. Just because you're having a rotten day doesn't mean you have to pass along your misery to someone else. It's important to share your struggles with friends. But being in a bad mood is no excuse for being unpleasant. If you feel your moving into that territory, ask yourself a simple question, "Am I being a jerk?" If you're somehow unable to discern that, the look on other people's faces will tell you. So for Lent, some advice: Be nice!

[Don’t miss any of the latest writings, podcasts and videos from Father Martin. Sign up for his newsletter.]

Jim Spangler
3 weeks ago

You need to retire back into the woodwork, as the message that you preach is not compatible with the Church. You are playing into the hands of SATAN!

Vane GA
2 weeks 3 days ago

Promoting kindness and compassion is Gods work. People who like you aren’t a representation of what is kind in the world. I pray for God open your heart to real goodness and real kindness to yourself and everyone you come in contact with.

Vane GA
2 weeks 3 days ago

Stanley Kopacz
2 weeks 1 day ago

Dump the comments, America Magazine. Why? Read top comment of this thread.

Tim Donovan
2 weeks 2 days ago

About 6 months ago, I began abstaining from meat each Friday, in reparation for the victims of clergy sex abuse. I also pray for the faithful and holy priests that I am fortunate to know. . I also receive forgiveness and consolation each month through the Sacrament of Reconciliation. I also pray throughout each day not only for my "needs" as I perceive them but for the intentions of my family, friends, and residents and staff of the nursing home where I live. I will also "give up" a simple treat, such as limiting myself to a single cup of coffee each day during our morning Coffee Social. Finally, I agree with Father Martin that it's a good idea to perform acts of kindness. I have decided, as Pope Francis suggested in a recent homily, to be kind by not gossiping to others about the problem of obesity about which another resident is frequently mocked.

Tim Donovan
2 weeks 2 days ago

About 6 months ago, I began abstaining from meat each Friday, in reparation for the victims of clergy sex abuse. I also receive forgiveness and consolation each month through the Sacrament of Reconciliation. I also pray throughout each day not only for my "needs" as I perceive them but for the intentions of my family, friends, and residents and staff if the nursing home where I live. I will also "give up" a simple treat, such as l limiting myself to a single cup of coffee each day during our morning Coffee Social. Finally, I agree with Father Martin that it's a good idea to perform acts of kindness. I have decided, as Pope Francis suggested in a recent homily, to be kind by not gossiping to others about the problem of obesity that another resident is frequentky

Mike Macrie
2 weeks ago

Being Kind is something we all need to work on especially me.

More: Prayer

Sister Bibiana Emenaha
A combination of a rapidly growing population, extreme poverty, unemployment and armed conflict push people to cross Nigeria’s porous borders in search of a better life.
Linus UnahMarch 22, 2019
As we come to grips with a national history of violence, greed and racialized privilege, this fable of noblesse oblige rings hollow.
Brandon SanchezMarch 22, 2019
In "Miracle Workers" Simon Rich balances the surreal with the mundane and anchors fantasy with practicality, providing the perfect stakes for dramatic and comedic tension.
Jake Kring-SchreifelsMarch 22, 2019
Sharon Hogan and Rob Delaney (photo: IMDB)
The hit Amazon show asks: Can we really just be unapologetically ourselves?
Jim McDermottMarch 22, 2019