U.S. deports retired Salvadoran general linked to civil war atrocities

The U.S. government April 8 deported retired Salvadoran Gen. Carlos Eugenio Vides Casanova, a former director of the Salvadoran national guard, to El Salvador.

In early 2014, the U.S. Department of Justice issued a deportation order for Casanova and retired Salvadoran Gen. Jose Guillermo Garcia, the former defense minister, also living in Florida.

Advertisement

Officials said at the time deportation proceedings can be a slow process, and Garcia's deportation order remains under appeal.

According to Reuters and other news reports, Casanova was arrested at his home in Palm Coast, which is north of Daytona Beach. He had lived there as a legal resident since 1989.

Casanova and Garcia were both accused of human rights abuses during the bloody civil war in El Salvador, which lasted roughly from 1979 to 1992.

More than 75,000 Salvadoran civilians, clergy and missionaries were killed during that era, including Archbishop Oscar Romero and four U.S. churchwomen, Maryknoll Sisters Ita Ford and Maura Clarke, Ursuline Sister Dorothy Kazel and lay volunteer Jean Donovan, in 1980.

Many civilians left the tiny Central American country and fled for protection to the United States, Europe and Australia, among other places. Others were "disappeared" and have never been found.

In 2002, Casanova and Garcia were found guilty in a civil trial for the torture of three Salvadorans, and ordered to pay $54.6 million to the victims.

James Green, a West Palm Beach attorney, told Catholic News Service last year when the deportation order was made public that such action by the U.S. government is something the U.S. "has only begun doing in the past 10 years against known human rights violators."

Green was not involved in the deportation proceedings but was a co-lead council that won the monetary award from Garcia and Casanova for the survivors of the Salvadoran civil war who sued them.

"Putting aside those who conspired with and implemented extermination of the Jewish population during World War II and before, this is one of the first times the United States has used immigration policy to exclude former allies whose human rights policies were in violation of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights," Green told CNS.

"Garcia never took any responsibility whatsoever for his actions; he never took responsibility for any of the widespread abuses of human rights occurring daily and hourly under his understand," he continued. "In many ways, he and Casanova turned a blind eye -- mostly they were encouraging violence against unarmed civilians."

Comments are automatically closed two weeks after an article's initial publication. See our comments policy for more.

Advertisement

The latest from america

 10.17.2018 Pope Francis greets Cardinal Blase J. Cupich of Chicago before a session of the Synod of Bishops on young people, the faith and vocational discernment at the Vatican Oct. 16. (CNS photo/Vatican Media)
“We take people where they are, walking with them, moving forward,” Cardinal Blase Cupich said.
Michael J. O’LoughlinOctober 20, 2018
Catherine Pakaluk, who currently teaches at the Catholic University of America and holds a Ph.D. in Economics from Harvard University, describes her tweet to Mr. Macron as “spirited” and “playful.”
Emma Winters October 19, 2018
A new proposal from the Department of Homeland Security could make it much more difficult for legal immigrants to get green cards in the United States. But even before its implementation, the proposal has led immigrants to avoid receiving public benefits.
J.D. Long-GarcíaOctober 19, 2018
 Archbishop Carlo Maria Vigano, then nuncio to the United States, and then-Cardinal Theodore E. McCarrick of Washington, are seen in a combination photo during the beatification Mass of Blessed Miriam Teresa Demjanovich at the Cathedral Basilica of the Sacred Heart in Newark, N.J., Oct. 4, 2014. (CNS photo/Gregory A. Shemitz)
In this third letter Archbishop Viganò no longer insists, as he did so forcefully in his first letter, that the restrictions that he claimed Benedict XVI had imposed on Archbishop McCarrick—one he alleges that Pope Francis later lifted—can be understood as “sanctions.”
Gerard O’ConnellOctober 19, 2018