115 bodies retrieved after migrant boat capsizes off Egypt

The bodies of 115 people had been pulled from the waters off the Egyptian coast by Friday, three days after a boat carrying hundreds of migrants capsized in the Mediterranean while attempting to head to Europe.

Mohammed Sultan, the governor of Egypt's coastal Beheira province, provided the latest death toll and told The Associated Press that dozens more are feared dead. An AP reporter near the Nile Delta city of Rosetta saw between 20 to 30 bodies brought in by fishing boats early Friday morning and delivered to a group of waiting ambulances lined up at the coast guard pier.

Advertisement

The migrants' boat capsized on Wednesday, nearly 12 kilometers (7.5 miles) from the Nile Delta port city of Rosetta. Many of the dead are women and children who were unable to swim away when the boat sank.

The head of the local council in the area, Ali Abdel-Sattar, said that the currents have carried the bodies of the victims many kilometers away from the site of the sinking. "Today, four bodies, including two Egyptian children, were found 20 kilometers to the east," he told the AP.

He added that many of the migrants are believed to have been "stored in the bottom of the boat, in the fridge."

"Those are the ones who drowned first, most probably stuck, and their bodies might not be retrieved anytime soon," he said, adding, "those we found are the ones liberated from the boat. I believe many are stuck and now laying in the bottom of the sea." He said the boat may now have sunk to 16 meters (yards) below sea level.

The UNHCR estimated that the boat was packed with some 450 people, while the state news agency MENA said earlier that the number might be as high as 600.

"UNHCR is deeply saddened by the loss of life after yet another boat capsized in the Mediterranean," the U.N. refugee agency said in a statement. Of the 150 people rescued, UNHCR said that the majority are Egyptians, while the others are Sudanese and other nationalities, including Somalians and Eritreans.

On Thursday, four people described as members of the vessel's crew were arrested over charges of human trafficking and manslaughter.

Egypt has been a traditional route for migrants travelling to Europe by sea. However, UNHCR said that since 2014 there has been a steady increase in the number of people intercepted while trying to leave.

Over 4,600 people of different nationalities were arrested this year, UNCHR said, a 28-percent increase compared to last year.

The EU border agency, Frontex, recently said more than 12,000 migrants arrived in Italy from Egypt between January and September this year, compared to 7,000 in the same period last year.

At a small pier called el-Borg, hundreds of families had gathered Friday, hoping to identify the bodies of their loved ones. Women screamed and relatives pushed and shoved while swarming the ambulances heading to the hospital.

Fishermen said that they had difficulty collecting the badly decomposed bodies, with one saying, "we didn't know how to pull them out."

The intense smell of decay filled the air and many covered their faces with masks.

Survivors and relatives told the AP earlier that the boat sank around 5:30 a.m. on Wednesday, and that it took coast guards around six hours to come to the rescue. Fishing boats in the vicinity were the first to provide help.

At Rosetta General Hospital, Abdel Raouf Mustafa Abdel-Garih, the father of a still-missing migrant, spoke late Thursday about his son: "a young man, who was 23 years old, he left on the basis that he would go work there, and the boat never came back, and we don't know where he's headed now. We've been here for three days now."

Many of the survivors were briefly detained by police. Some of those rescued were taken to hospitals, where they lay handcuffed to beds and under police guard.

After his release, survivor Ahmed Darwish said, "my advice is that no one should undertake this risk, and especially anyone who saw these things, they will never do it again."

The International Organization for Migration has said that this year over 3,500 have died while attempting to cross the Mediterranean to Europe, with this number "rapidly approaching" the record death toll set last year. It said that 300,000 have crossed the Mediterranean this year, mostly landing in Greece and Italy. More than a million crossed in all of 2015, but the rate of deaths is far higher this year.

Those who chose to risk the dangerous journey are often fleeing war and poverty in the Middle East and elsewhere.

___

Michael contributed to this story from Cairo, Egypt

Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Comments are automatically closed two weeks after an article's initial publication. See our comments policy for more.

Advertisement

Don't miss the best from America

Sign up for our Newsletter to get the Jesuit perspective on news, faith and culture.

The latest from america

It is astonishing to think that God would choose to enter the world this way: as a fragile newborn who could not even hold up his own head without help.
Ginny Kubitz MoyerOctober 20, 2017
Protestors rally to support Temporary Protected Status near the U.S. Capitol in Washington on Sept. 26. (CNS photo/Tyler Orsburn)
Around 200,000 Salvadorans and 57,000 Hondurans have been residing in the United States for more than 15 years under Temporary Protected Status. But that status is set to expire in early 2018.
J.D. Long-GarcíaOctober 20, 2017
At the heart of Anne Frank’s life and witness is a hopeful faith in humanity.
Leo J. O'Donovan, S.J.October 20, 2017
Forensic police work on the main road in Bidnija, Malta, which leads to Daphne Caruana Galizias house, looking for evidence on the blast that killed the journalist as she was leaving her home, Thursday, Oct. 19, 2017. Caruana Galizia, a harsh critic of Maltese Premier Joseph Muscat, and who reported extensively on corruption on Malta, was killed by a car bomb on Monday. (AP Photo/Rene Rossignaud)
Rarely does the death of a private citizen elicit a formal letter of condolence from the Pope.