Podcast: America magazine asked Pope Francis about women’s ordination. Here’s what he said.
It’s not every day your colleague gets to interview—and share a laugh with—Pope Francis. So this week we’re talking to Kerry Weber, an executive editor at America, who was one of five America editors who spent two hours speaking with the pope on Nov. 22. We ask Kerry what surprised her most about the Holy Father and what it was like to be a woman asking Francis about women’s ordination, a question considered by many to be off the table, within the walls of the Vatican.
In Signs of the Times, Zac and Ashley discuss the appointment of a Chinese bishop to a diocese not recognized by the Holy See—and the Vatican’s unusually harsh response.
And finally, stick around after the credits for a preview of America Media’s new season of its Advent podcast “Hark! The stories behind our favorite Christmas carols.”
Links from the show:
- Exclusive: Pope Francis discusses Ukraine, U.S. bishops and more
- Behind the scenes: What it’s like to interview Pope Francis
- Vatican statement suggests China violated agreement over appointment of bishops
- China vows more ‘friendly consensus’ after unusually harsh Vatican statement
- The Catholic Church in China | A Short Documentary
- The story of ‘Carol of the Bells,’ a Christmas classic born in Ukraine
What’s on tap?