Podcast: What we know about Pope Francis’ secret mission to end the war in Ukraine
Last week, the Pontifical Council for the Protection of Minors had its first meeting since the shocking resignation of abuse expert Hans Zollner, S.J. His resignation over issues “that need to be urgently addressed” led to a public disagreement between him and the commission’s president, Cardinal Sean O’Malley, O.F.M.
[Listen and subscribe to “Inside the Vatican” on Apple Podcasts and Spotify.]
In this episode of “Inside the Vatican,” veteran Vatican correspondent Gerard O’Connell and host Colleen Dulle explain the big questions the abuse commission faces and what is next for this advisory body, following last week’s meeting.
In the second half of the show, Gerry reports on the secret “mission” Pope Francis says he has undertaken to end the war in Ukraine. The pope was sparse on details, but Gerry’s sources have offered him greater insight into the pope’s plan and the people he has engaged to reach Russia and Ukraine.
Links from the show
Pontifical Commission for the Protection of Minors meets without Hans Zollner, S.J.
- Pope Francis to conflict-ridden sex abuse commission: This is ‘the moment of reparation.’
- Pope Francis tells bishops of Latin America, where new sex abuse protections aren’t in place, to make it a priority
- Jesuit abuse expert Hans Zollner explains decision to resign from Vatican safeguarding commission
- Jesuit sex abuse expert Hans Zollner resigns from papal commission over ‘urgent concerns’
- Jesuit sexual abuse expert discusses the Marko Rupnik case, the Society of Jesus and the state of the abuse crisis
- Jesuit sex abuse expert appointed to Vatican office for child protection
Pope Francis reveals plan for peace between Russia and Ukraine
- Pope Francis’ secret peace mission, explained
- Kremlin denies working with Vatican on Ukraine peace talks
- Pope Francis: ‘When it’s public I’ll talk about it’—hints at secret talks to end Ukraine-Russia war
- In Hungary, Pope Francis meets with Ukrainian refugees and Russian church official
- Asked if Putin is committing genocide in Ukraine, Pope Francis doesn’t say no