Who SHOULD be a saint?

The ever-resourceful David van Biema, religion reporter at Time and Time.com, has this provocative piece online on who should become a saint.  Some are already en route; some are poised to step (or, more accurately be placed) on the path; some may simply surprise you.  See if your list matches his.  Did he miss anyone?  Which man or woman would you add?

James Martin, SJ

10 years ago
Along with Thomas Merton, I certainly do think that Fr. Waltar Ciszek, SJ, should be made a saint. I first learned about the Jesus Prayer from Fr. Ciszek's book 'The Way of A Pilgrim & The Pilgrim Continues His Ways'. Later I read another classic on the Jesus Prayer which was 'The Way of the Pilgrim' which was written by an anonymous Russian peasant in the 19th century. The classic wording of the Jesus Prayer is 'Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner'. Some shorten this prayer and simply say 'Lord Jesus' or 'Jesus' or whatever. Its constant repetition is one of the oldest and most respected forms a ceaseless prayer in the Christian tradition. It is one of preferred ways to pray. I would like to see Monseñor Oscar Romero made a saint.
10 years ago
Dear Andy, 'Servant of God' is the first step, for someone whose cause is under official 'investigation.' When the decree of a life of 'heroic sanctity' is issued, the person becomes 'Venerable.' At least that's how it was once explained to me. The best book on all this, by the way is still Ken Woodward's 'Making Saints.' Second, I believe that Pius XII is a 'Servant of God,' not yet beatified, which is what the pope referred to recently. But I think it's just a matter of time.
10 years ago
What a good article, with a couple of great quips from you! I do pray that Thomas Merton will one day be counted among the canonized in the Church. I know the Holy Spirit spoke to me through his spiritual autobiography, which solidified my decision to become a Catholic. I know of many others who've said the same thing. I'm not entirely familiar with the end of his life and his apparent attraction to Eastern religions, but the impact of his early years is undeniable. I would add to the list Father Walter Ciszek, SJ, for his courageous witness to Christ as a prisoner in the Soviet Union. And also, Blessed Elizabeth of the Trinity, the Carmelite Nun who was a contemporary of St. Therese.
10 years ago
Quick question(s) on this very interesting article. I was always under the impression that Servant of God is a title bestowed on those who are Venerable. This piece made it appear that it precedes it. If that is true, what merits a person moving from the former to the latter? What is the difference between them since miracles aren't required til beatification? Secondly, and correspondingly, the article says Pius XII is Venerable, but the response of the Vatican spokesperson last week to Fr. Gumpel states that the Pope has not yet signed the declaration that would cause this. So is Pius a Servant of God? Or still just Pius?
The three that I was most hoping would be on the list were included, Dorothy Day, Archbishop Romero, and Thomas Merton. I know all three will take some time, if they ever are recognized, because of political reasons, and that is sad. But all three are deserving. I love both Boenhoffer and King, but for obvious reasons they will never be canonized. Of course that does not mean they are not in heaven, I would imagine that both are, but despite their extraordinary virtue, they were still ultimately heretics, and that makes them impossible to be set forth as example of saints. I love them both dearly, and have relied on both of their writings, but obviously they cannot be canonized saints.
My hopes for Gerard Manley Hopkins have been revived by Ron Hansen's beautiful novel, "Exiles."

10.17.2018 Pope Francis greets Cardinal Blase J. Cupich of Chicago before a session of the Synod of Bishops on young people, the faith and vocational discernment at the Vatican Oct. 16. (CNS photo/Vatican Media)
“We take people where they are, walking with them, moving forward,” Cardinal Blase Cupich said.
Michael J. O’LoughlinOctober 20, 2018
Catherine Pakaluk, who currently teaches at the Catholic University of America and holds a Ph.D. in Economics from Harvard University, describes her tweet to Mr. Macron as “spirited” and “playful.”
Emma Winters October 19, 2018
A new proposal from the Department of Homeland Security could make it much more difficult for legal immigrants to get green cards in the United States. But even before its implementation, the proposal has led immigrants to avoid receiving public benefits.
J.D. Long-GarcíaOctober 19, 2018
 Archbishop Carlo Maria Vigano, then nuncio to the United States, and then-Cardinal Theodore E. McCarrick of Washington, are seen in a combination photo during the beatification Mass of Blessed Miriam Teresa Demjanovich at the Cathedral Basilica of the Sacred Heart in Newark, N.J., Oct. 4, 2014. (CNS photo/Gregory A. Shemitz)
In this third letter Archbishop Viganò no longer insists, as he did so forcefully in his first letter, that the restrictions that he claimed Benedict XVI had imposed on Archbishop McCarrick—one he alleges that Pope Francis later lifted—can be understood as “sanctions.”
Gerard O’ConnellOctober 19, 2018