This Week Online: Niebhur and Schillebeeckx

On this week's podcast, Drew Christiansen, S.J., offers an introduction to Reinhold Niebuhr, the mid-20th century theologian and public intellectual who has been invoked by David Brooks and others as a major influence on President Obama's foreign policy. Father Christiansen argues that the pundits generally focus on one or two books by Niebuhr and neglect to consider his entire corpus. A closer examination of Niebuhr reveals not only a foreign policy realist but also a skeptical critic of American exceptionalism.

Listen to "Searching for Reinhold Niebuhr."

Edward Schillebeeckx, O.P., who died in December, has been a major influence on Catholic theologians for the last 50 years. Among his students is Roger Haight, S.J., who here offers a video appreciation of the Belgian Dominican.

Tim Reidy

9 years ago
I think Jesuits don't have a "uniform" but are expected to blend in with their environment, so Fr. Haight looks fine.
9 years ago
Are Jesuit theologians too smart for collar? Are they allergic or something? I know I sound like I am whining. But honestly. It just irritates me.
Beth Cioffoletti
9 years ago
Maria, one of my best friends (who is a priest) is very anti-clerical.  He's retired and only wears his collar when he thinks it will help someone - like when he testifies for a prisoner in court or needs access to hospital patients.  Anyway, he gets very irritated with what he calls the medieval clothing that the pope wears.  The hats, and especially the red shoes.  He goes on and on about those red shoes.
Last year he got a package from the Vatican, and what was in the package but red shoes!  We laughed and laughed.  Obviously it was a joke, but we haven't seen the pope wearing the red shoes lately!
I hope to listen to the podcast about Niebuhr at the gym today.
James Lindsay
9 years ago
My question is whether making this video available violates the CDF restrictions placed on Fr. Haight. Let's not get him into trouble.
9 years ago
Beth: ROFLMAO! Beth, please DO NOT get me starting on those who cannot wear the collar and the habit. We DON'T want to go there!
Michael: Yikes....Does not sound good, does it? We are shocked,simply shocked, aren't we? Round up the ususal suspects.
9 years ago
You gotta love a man who wears for Ferragamos. I want to go to Ferragamo heaven, one day.
James Dominic James
9 years ago
It is good to move others to gratitude in response to God's creative presence and to His work of Divine Friendship. Thank you, Fr. Edward Schillebeeckx, O.P., for ''mediated immediacy'' and for ''Man's cause was God's cause.''
JACQUES CREMER
9 years ago
Thanks to America for posting this.
9 years ago
By Thomas A. Droleskey on his friend John Hardon SJ:

"Father told the story during an evening of recollection at Saint Ignatius Church in Manhattan in March of 1980 about a married woman he had encountered on an airplane. SHE HAD APPROACHED HIM BECAUSE HE WAS WEARING HIS COLLAR (and Father stressed the fact that a priest is always "on duty." "There are no days off for priests. I was ordained to be bothered, even when I am dog-tired"). She questioned him about contraception. She wouldn't have approached him unless he was had been recognizable as a priest. Father patiently explained to her why contraception was wrong. And then he said to her, "Now, the next time I see you, young lady, I want to see you pregnant." She later wrote to him to tell him that she was indeed carrying her first child".

Hmmm.Seems like priests are not supposed to "blend in" for a reason. Something for the Society of Jesus to ponder...

This year’s W.Y.D takes place less than three months after the conclusion of the Synod for Young People that was held in the Vatican last October.
Gerard O’ConnellJanuary 21, 2019
On Jan. 18, a teenager wearing a "Make America Great Again" hat, center left, stands in front of an elderly Native American singing and playing a drum in Washington. (Survival Media Agency via AP)

WASHINGTON (CNS) -- An exchange between Catholic high school students and a Native American tribal leader in Washington Jan.

Like most public writers, I was used to getting notes that were crude, crazy or even mildly threatening. Normally, I would say a quick prayer for these obviously troubled people and get on with my day. This time it felt different, precisely because the author wasn’t insulting or obviously deranged.
Rachel LuJanuary 21, 2019
In cities across the country, local activists marched in support of a progressive agenda centered on economic justice, racial justice and immigrant rights.
Brandon SanchezJanuary 20, 2019