Reynolds Price and Faith

When the great writer Reynolds Price died a few days ago, most obituaries omitted mention of his deep faith.  Yet much of his writing in later life focused on his Christian belief and practice.  For me, his most affecting treatment of that topic is in Letter to a Godchildin which Price writes to a young godchild on the occasion of his baptism.  (If I recall the book correctly, he states in the intro that it is an actual letter, not a made-up conceit.)  It's a wise and honest work that pulls no punches about the challenges of faith, but also makes no excuses for celebrating it.  Here is Price on NPR's Fresh Air with Terry Gross, in 2006, speaking about the book.  Listen to the interview and then by all means buy the book--for a godchild or for yourself.

I can't believe he is gone...
Vic Gallerano
I have been a Reynolds Price reader since Joe Vanderholt, S.J. gave me a copy of
''A Long and Happy Life'' - about a hundred and eleven years ago, now. (''Surface of the Earth'' is still my favorite.) When I think of Price, I always think of the opening of Alan Judd's biography of Ford Maddox Ford: ''There are also the rich in spirit. It overflows and is seen in everything they do.'' Certainly in everything Reynolds Price wrote.
-Vic
Carolyn Disco
The NYTimes obituary:

Carolyn Disco
I can't help but ask: And the church characterizes him as ''intrinsically disordered?''
david power
His sexuality but not him Carolyn.
Joseph O'Leary
I imagine pedophiles (referring to pedophilia as an orientation) would be very grateful if the Vatican would tell them what it tells gays: your sexuality is disordered, but you are not.
Touche, Mr. Power.

Pope Francis arrived in Vilnius, the capital of Lithuania, to celebrate the centenary of the country’s independence.
Gerard O’ConnellSeptember 22, 2018
Pope Francis has recognized all the remaining bishops who were ordained in China in recent years without the pope's approval.
Gerard O’ConnellSeptember 22, 2018
In a historic breakthrough, the Holy See has signed today, Sept. 22, “a provisional agreement” with China on the appointment of bishops.
Gerard O’ConnellSeptember 22, 2018
Youths attending a pre-synod meeting participate in the Way of the Cross at the Basilica of St. John Lateran in Rome on March 23. (CNS photo/Paul Haring)
The meeting of the Synod of Bishops on young people is an opportunity for an ongoing conversation between everyday lived experience and church teachings.
Michele DillonSeptember 21, 2018