Reynolds Price and Faith

When the great writer Reynolds Price died a few days ago, most obituaries omitted mention of his deep faith.  Yet much of his writing in later life focused on his Christian belief and practice.  For me, his most affecting treatment of that topic is in Letter to a Godchildin which Price writes to a young godchild on the occasion of his baptism.  (If I recall the book correctly, he states in the intro that it is an actual letter, not a made-up conceit.)  It's a wise and honest work that pulls no punches about the challenges of faith, but also makes no excuses for celebrating it.  Here is Price on NPR's Fresh Air with Terry Gross, in 2006, speaking about the book.  Listen to the interview and then by all means buy the book--for a godchild or for yourself.

I can't believe he is gone...
Vic Gallerano
I have been a Reynolds Price reader since Joe Vanderholt, S.J. gave me a copy of
''A Long and Happy Life'' - about a hundred and eleven years ago, now. (''Surface of the Earth'' is still my favorite.) When I think of Price, I always think of the opening of Alan Judd's biography of Ford Maddox Ford: ''There are also the rich in spirit. It overflows and is seen in everything they do.'' Certainly in everything Reynolds Price wrote.
-Vic
Carolyn Disco
The NYTimes obituary:

Carolyn Disco
I can't help but ask: And the church characterizes him as ''intrinsically disordered?''
david power
His sexuality but not him Carolyn.
Joseph O'Leary
I imagine pedophiles (referring to pedophilia as an orientation) would be very grateful if the Vatican would tell them what it tells gays: your sexuality is disordered, but you are not.
Touche, Mr. Power.

Young protesters call for an immigration bill to address the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program at a rally in 2017 on Capitol Hill in Washington. (CNS photo/Joshua Roberts, Reuters)
Archbishop Gomez called the USA Act a “good-faith compromise.”
J.D. Long-GarcíaApril 25, 2018
(iStock/itsmejust)
A new Pew Research Center poll finds that 87 percent of U.S. Catholics believe God is "all-loving," but only 67 percent say God is "all-powerful."
In this photo dated Wednesday, April 11, 2018, Pope Francis arrives in St.Peter's Square at the Vatican for his weekly general audience. (AP Photo/Andrew Medichini)
All three were victims of the infamous Chilean priest predator, the Rev. Ferdinando Karadima, who was found guilty of abuse of minors by the Vatican.
Gerard O’ConnellApril 25, 2018
Of all the things I looked forward to while pregnant with my son, reading books to him was very close to the top of that list.
Kerry WeberApril 24, 2018