Michael Sean Winters: Ave Atque Vale

Tomorrow we will bid farewell on this blog to Michael Sean Winters, one of our most indefatigable and most popular bloggers, and someone well known to the readers of America.  Michael, author of Left at the Altar: How the Democrats Lost the Catholics and How the Catholics Can Save the Democrats, is a well-known Catholic commentator and essayist.  Over the past year, he has written extensively on political matters, church issues and more broadly social issues.  He was one of our first (and most regular) bloggers, someone we relied upon for timely, hard-hitting looks at the issues of the day, and someone who usually drew a lot of "traffic" to our site, and who was often quoted in the MSM.  Michael, who has written for the print edition as well, will continue to write for the magazine--in print and online we hope--but will be blogging more or less regularly for the National Catholic Reporter.  Michael helped us immeasurably when "In All Things" was in its infancy.  Now that the blog is off and running, and we have more of our associate editors blogging daily, we will be relying more on "in-house" talent.  But we are exceedingly grateful to Michael for his terrific contributions, we wish him well at NCR, and we look forward to future contributons in America.  By the way, for those Vaticanologists who wish to read some hidden meaning into this farewell being penned by the culture editor, rather than our editor in chief or our online editor, some facts: both are away. But both join me, and the rest of the staff here at America, in thanking Michael Sean Winters.

James Martin, SJ

9 years 1 month ago
I wish Mr. Winters well and will have to look into what else he writes at other places.  He is a gifted writer even if I often disagree with his positions.  Just finished his book.  I suggest all read it as well as the book by David Carlin.
JAMES KEEGAN
9 years 1 month ago
I will miss reading Mr. Winters; his entries came even before coffee.
 James Keegan
Beth Cioffoletti
9 years 1 month ago
I also didn't always agree with you, but you always cast a unique perspective on the news of the day, and added a much needed voice to the conversation.  Thank you!
Nicholas Collura
9 years 1 month ago
That's too bad! Michael, you will be very greatly missed...but I know you will bring as much intelligence, sincerity, thoughtfulness, and truthfulness to the NCR as you have to In All Things. My best to you over there!
James Lindsay
9 years 1 month ago
Good Luck Michael, I will see you at NCR.
ed gleason
9 years 1 month ago
Michael; I'm sorry you are leaving and hope you come back to post on the ongoing Church crisis, Challanging voices that stay 'inside' are needed more than ever. The issues are not going away ..Interesting times indeed.
Jim McCrea
9 years 1 month ago
I will miss the few but prolific "attack dogs" that seemed to live to correct the ever-errant MSW's alleged misguided liberalism.
9 years 1 month ago
His more philosophical pieces of the relationship of Church-state were the best & quite thought provoking; his more political pieces were essentially proof-texts for DNC or White House talking points.  There were times when his pieces read like he woke up looking to tick one or another group off. He also has a maddening habit of not responding to critics; in all, I think he is best suited for print rather than the blogosphere.  I hope America replaces him with someone better suited to the greatest intellectual tradition of America in the blogosphere.

All the best,

An "attack dog".
Gabriel Marcella
9 years 1 month ago
We shall miss this Renaissance man gifted with a remarkable capacity to generate interest, controversy, and passionate response. Good luck, my friend!
we vnornm
9 years 1 month ago
I have enjoyed every post I've read by MSW, disagreeing more than a little, but always respecting this vital and creative man whose work has enriched the Church immeasurably. I look forward to reading your ideas in the future and hearing about your future successes, which I hope will be abundant. amdg, bvo
9 years 1 month ago
Well, I don't think i was an attack dog Father Jim but I did disagree with my Irish friend in particular on matters of economics and politics. I agreed with him more on our great Church tent being large and expansive,yet still in the end a tent.
MSM is a gifted and sincere Catholic writer who is as much a Catholic apologist as an apologist for the Democratic party ( and he is willing to say when he disagrees with both)  Thanks MSM- best wishes to you in your new gig and I hope sometime I get to buy you a pint at a watering hole  and talk/debate politics. blessings to you and your family. Joe
david power
9 years 1 month ago
Good luck  Mr Winters.Thanks for all of the  bloggings ,which were sometimes brilliant ,and I hope that you continue to write about the meaning of the spirituality of the Church as it touches  the temporal sphere. I hope that you work on bigger projects as your talent is held back in mediums like these. It was often an education in the Faith that you gave.

God bless

James Lindsay
Fr. Jim,

Give us this day our daily blogger. No one posted on July 1.
Marcello Mastroianni
Just out of curiosity, I did a quick Google search for the word ''racist'' on America Magazine's website. While MSW was writing here, the word appears 3-4 times per month. Since he's left, it's down to once per month or not at all. MSW's departure is welcome.
Helena Loflin
9 years 1 month ago
Thank you, Michael, and best wishes!

The history of “Sesame Street” offers some helpful lessons to anyone trying to spread a message of hope in an all-too-divided world.
Kerry WeberAugust 22, 2019
Do not ever let anyone say that sobriety is easy on a family: The return of a prodigal can spark consuming fires.
Valerie SchultzAugust 22, 2019
The investigation will determine the credibility of an accusation of abuse allegedly committed “more than 50 years ago” by Archbishop Pinera who, at 103, is the oldest living bishop in the world.
People bury a prisoner who was killed during a prison riot in Altamaria, Para state, Brazil, on July 31. Grieving families began to arrive that day at the cemetery of Altamira to mourn some of the 58 inmates killed by a rival gang in a grisly prison riot. (AP Photo/Raimundo Pacco)
Deadly riots regularly occur in the third-largest prison system in the world, reports Eduardo Campos Lima, and Brazilian authorities are restricting the practice of religion rather than address overcrowding, gang activity and other problems.
Eduardo Campos LimaAugust 21, 2019