Hosanna! The Rededication of the Church of St. Francis Xavier

This wonderful Mass, and this wonderful event, was celebrated last Saturday.   As usual Archbishop Dolan, a friend of the Society, was terrific.  Here is a video from Currents (H/T to The Deacon's Bench.)

Beth Cioffoletti
I wish that I were in the neighborhood.  I would love to find a spiritual home like this.
Toni Urquhart
In 2007 I was in the neighborhood. Through volunteer work with New York Cares I found myself in the basement of the Church of St Francis Xavier one Sunday morning preparing food for a portion of Manhattan's hungry, and, lo and behold, caught a glimpse of that good fellow Jesus. Shortly thereafter I saw him again in the upper room (Xavier's Mary Chapel), somewhere in the warmth of the small group of parishioners gathered for 7:45 a.m. weekday Mass, in Fr George's sharing of Arrupe's prayer, ''Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything'' and of Rahner's understanding of the fundamental option, somewhere also in Fr Rocco's dynamic preaching, and later still in the quizzical air of Fr Peter's narrow-eyed response to my desire to confess and live as a Catholic: ''Well, how evil have you been?'' You must watch out for these Jesuits. You see, they will help reel you in from the deep and plant you in a new field, and in Xavier's case, plant you in very good company.
Jim McCrea
“I know what you mean about being repulsed by the church when you have only the Mechanical-Jansenist Catholic to judge it by. I think that the reason such Catholics are so repulsive is that they don’t really have faith but a kind of false certainty. They operate by the slide rule and the Church for them is not the body of Christ but the poor man’s insurance system. It’s never hard for them to believe because actually they never think about it. Faith has to take in all the other possibilities it can.”   Flannery O’Connor
Faith = prayer + righteous deeds.    Dietrich Bonhoeffer
“Faith is about relationships; it's not about the rules.”   Bp Joseph Galante of Camden, N.J.
Elizabeth O'Connor
Lovely piece, but for those of us who don't live in the Big Apple, where is St. Francis Xavier? Just curious.
Jim McCrea
For all of Dolan's magnanimity, there was a steep price for the parish to pay.  He "suggested" that they not march in the annual Gay Pride Parade under their parish banner, as they have done in the past.
Here is the pastor's press release:
The same thing happened to Most Holy Redeemer parish in San Francisco under the "suggestion" of Archbishop Niederauer.
Today is the final mass at St. Emeric's, an historic Hungarian church on Cleveland's West Side. It is the last (hopefully) of 50 churches closed this year in the Diocese of Cleveland, most of which were in the city's urban core. As glorious as St. Francis Xavier's rededication is, I remain disappointed that the Church's presence has been lost in a place so in need of it.
Marybeth Wadlinger
While I'm glad that people have found a spiritual "home" at St. Francis, and while I understand that we are all sinners and rely on the mercy and grace of God...I fail to understand why dissenting catholics don't just leave the church.  Protestants do it all the time.

Ayanne Johnson, a student from Great Mills High School in southern Maryland, holds up the photograph of her classmate Jaelynn Willey during the "March for Our Lives" rally in Washington on March 24. Willey was killed by a classmate this week at her school. (AP Photo/Jose Luis Magana)
Many of the participants from Catholic schools and churches say that respecting the dignity of life means protecting children from gun violence.
Teresa DonnellanMarch 24, 2018
Xavier High School students fill West 16th Street during the National School Walkout Day. (Credit: Shawna Gallagher Vega/Xavier High School)
Our student body generated dialogue around a topic that we did not all agree on.
Devin OnMarch 23, 2018
Protesters gather near the Manchester Central Fire Station in Manchester, N.H., Monday, March 19, 2018, where President Donald Trump madee an unscheduled visit. Trump is in New Hampshire to unveil more of his plan to combat the nation's opioid crisis. (AP Photo/Susan Walsh)
To suggest the use of the death penalty as a way to address the opioid epidemic ignores what we know already to be true: The death penalty is a flawed and broken tool in the practical pursuit of justice.
Karen CliftonMarch 23, 2018
(Images: Wikimedia Commons, iStock/Composite: America)
An angel whispered in my ear: “Fred, ‘Be not afraid.’”
Fred DaleyMarch 23, 2018