On EWTN: John Padberg, SJ on the Jesuits

Mitch Pacwa, SJ, host of "EWTN Live" interviews the great Jesuit historian John Padberg, SJ, on the history of the Society of Jesus.  Father Padberg, director and genearl editor of the Institute of Jesuit Sources, has forgotten more about Jesuit history than I know.  The show is well worth a watch.

7 years ago
My word, 2 Jebbies on EWTN!?!  Has the world ended and we don't know it yet?

Seriously, awesome segment.
7 years ago
Very interesting.  Thank you for sharing.
Jim McCrea
7 years ago
Maybe Mama Angelica has had a conversion experience and has decided to return to the church.
7 years ago
@ Jim:

When the Catholic cable network's founder, Mother Angelica, suffered a stroke in 2001Fr. Mitch Pacaw SJ took over her program slots. This link provides a good summary of his involvement with EWTN which goes back quite a way. He met her in grad school. See:

www.companysj.com/v221/ontheair.htm

Fr. Robert Spitzer SJ has been on EWTN for years, though I do not know precisely when he started at EWTN. He has produced seven television series for EWTN: Healing the Culture, The Spirit of Catholic Leadership, Suffering and the Love of God, Finding God through Faith and Reason, Five Pillars of the Spiritual Life, Jesus-Emmanuel, and The Heavens Proclaim the Glory of God. I love Fr. Spitzer. He is just a tad manic (he would have to be—check out his bio) and so in love with Our Lord. For his bio see:

www.magisreasonfaith.org/files/pdfs/spitzerbio.pdf

7 years ago
Forget it, Jim. I can't type-Mitch Pacwa SJ . You know who I'm talking about!
Crystal Watson
7 years ago
He's an interesting guy.  I recently read a past article by him - "Ignatius, the Popes, and Realistic Reverence", Studies in the Spirituality of Jesuits , 25 (May 1993), and  you can see him in a couple of other videos on the Spiritual Exercises from Georgetown University here .... http://explore.georgetown.edu/documents/?DocumentID=48495 ...  and here  .... http://explore.georgetown.edu/news/?ID=48499
7 years ago
Smart, yes, but best of all, Fr. Pacwa has a cheerful heart and is a defender of the faith. Thank you for the link!
Jane Redmont
7 years ago
How wonderful to see and hear John Padberg, who is characteristically clear, learned, and clever in this interview. Informative and inspiring!  I'm not sure John would want me to call him the Energizer Bunny of Jesuit scholarship, but he really is amazing and my admiration and respect for him endure.  Ad multo annos!

Many thanks to you for making this video available. I have posted it on Facebook and will share it with students, parishioners, colleagues, et al.

Young protesters call for an immigration bill to address the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program at a rally in 2017 on Capitol Hill in Washington. (CNS photo/Joshua Roberts, Reuters)
Archbishop Gomez called the USA Act a “good-faith compromise.”
J.D. Long-GarcíaApril 25, 2018
(iStock/itsmejust)
A new Pew Research Center poll finds that 87 percent of U.S. Catholics believe God is "all-loving," but only 67 percent say God is "all-powerful."
In this photo dated Wednesday, April 11, 2018, Pope Francis arrives in St.Peter's Square at the Vatican for his weekly general audience. (AP Photo/Andrew Medichini)
All three were victims of the infamous Chilean priest predator, the Rev. Ferdinando Karadima, who was found guilty of abuse of minors by the Vatican.
Gerard O’ConnellApril 25, 2018
Of all the things I looked forward to while pregnant with my son, reading books to him was very close to the top of that list.
Kerry WeberApril 24, 2018