Don't Forget about Joseph!

Well, I'll bet that you're just now starting to receive (or send) Christmas cards this year.  And I'll bet that most of them include pictures of the Virgin and Child.  (Our upcoming Christmas issue has a special image--with a fascinating history--of Mary and her infant son on its cover.)  But what about Joseph?  Poor guy.  He's usually shunted off to the side, if he's even there.  Here's a piece on Slate about putting Joseph back in the picture.  And a little video from Loyola Productions on the saint of the Hidden Life.

9 years 1 month ago
This is a lovely video,Padre. And what important things to ponder: that which is hidden and holy.
Peter Lakeonovich
9 years 1 month ago
Fr. Jim, thanks for the excellent reminder. I would not be surprised if one day it is revelaed that St. Joseph, the man hand-selected by the First Person of the Trinity to be the putative father of the Word Made Flesh, the one who also said yes to the Angel when asked to take Mary and the Child to Egypt (and then back again), the one worried sick when Jesus was lost at the temple, was also immaculately conceived without sin. Mary and Joseph, pray for us.
Beth Cioffoletti
9 years 1 month ago
I have long been a skeptic about prayers to saints to ask for specific things.  And then there was a long period of unemployment for my husband.  Out of the blue one day, I asked St. Joseph the worker, for help ... and honest to God within 30 minutes a call came with the offer of a job.  To this day, I keep St. Joseph very, very close.  I love his quiet, behind the scenes support.
Beth Cioffoletti
9 years 1 month ago
9 years 1 month ago
Thank you, Father Jim, for your inspiring commentary on St. Joseph.  And the artwork accompanying your talk is just beautiful.   This comes at a particularly difficult time in my life and I am so grateful to have the example of St. Joseph's life and your wisdom to help me along the path.  God bless you!
RICHARD KUEBBING
9 years 1 month ago

Your comments on Slate remind me of this summer. We went back for the 50th high school reunion. When I saw the headmaster's name, I knew he must be the son of the "displaced persons" who worked at our church when I grew up.
The father was THE janitor/maintenance/anythingelsethatcamealong person of a large suburban parish with a large school, convent and rectory. One very clear memory I have of elementary school is seeing Mr B working around the parish with children following him. The children were listening to him as he worked. I think their success after a difficult childhood in a foreign land learning a new language can be traced to the firm grounding they received from their father.

Psychedelics can blur the line between science and spirituality—but Christian mysticism cannot be studied.
Terrance KleinJanuary 17, 2019
The extensive New York Times series in support of legal abortion unfolds as if the last 46 years of the abortion debate following Roe v. Wade never happened and did not need to.
​Helen AlvaréJanuary 17, 2019
In 1983, Sri Lanka descended into a bitter and prolonged ethnic conflict. Harry Miller, S.J., then almost 60, was thrust into a new role as witness, advocate, intermediary and protector not only for his students but for anyone in Batticaloa who sought his help.
Jeannine GuthrieJanuary 17, 2019
I have found that praying 15 minutes every day is an important form of self-care.
Michael R. Lovell January 16, 2019