Sarah Silverman on whether hell exists and why she loves the Jesuits

Michael Rowe via Netflix

“You know, I don’t know about Jesuits except what I am learning,” Sarah Silverman tells us on this week’s episode of Jesuitical. “Every Jesuit I meet, I find that I adore and just love the bringing emotion and feelings and intellect together.”

Every week, during the interview portion of the podcast, we feature a guest, Catholic and sometimes non-Catholic, that offers an interesting perspective on faith, culture or the news. This week, we welcome Sarah, a comedian, actress and host of “I Love You America with Sarah Silverman.” We discuss why she loves Jesuit priests even as a non-believer, whether or not hell exists and why the world desperately needs Mr. Rogers.

Before our conversation with Sarah (which starts at 12:15), we discuss and analyze this week’s top Catholic news:this year’s NCAA tournament champions, Villanova and Notre Dame; and Joan Roanhauer, the first woman to lead Jesuit Refugee Services.

We also discuss Pope Francis’ latest Easter message, in which he calls for an end to conflicts in the Holy Land and Syria. April 4 also marked 50 years since the assassination of Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. in Memphis. We talk about Dr. King’s legacy, his influence on people like Pope Francis and the whitewashing of his beliefs. We also discuss the killing of 22-year-old Stephon Clark in Sacramento.

Please tweet us @jesuiticalshow or send us an email jesuitical@americamedia.org and let us know your reactions to our conversation with Sarah. And please leave us a review on Apple podcasts and tell your friends about the show.

Links from the show:

I Love You, America with Sarah Silverman

Pope Francis in Easter message calls for end to conflicts in Syria and the Holy Land

How Pope Francis carries on Martin Luther King Jr.’s legacy of Christian nonviolence

First woman to head Jesuit agency takes on refugee crisis

Nuns in Poland show ‘fighting spirit’ in boxing video to raise funds for orphanage

Ogunbowale encore! Final Four hero lifts Notre Dame to title

What’s on tap?

Lent is over! Easter is here! So we celebrate with prosecco.

Kevin Murphy
6 months 2 weeks ago

You're now showcasing Silverman, who once joked about eating aborted fetuses? Is there a low for America and the Jesuits, someplace they won't go? I have to stop writing before I say something I truly regret. Just vile.

Dana Jens
6 months 2 weeks ago

how in the *ell they get away with calling "America" a Catholic publication is only because the main attraction is in Rome making this the freak "Sideshow"

Stan Zorin
6 months 2 weeks ago

To Olga Segura and to the chief editor - Have you lost your minds or are you so ignorant ? Why do you honor this Jewess with a respectful article in your publication ?
Sarah Silverman : "I would kill Christ again" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSrhJGGDqx0
It looks like you are not 'Jew wise', you are not aware of your mortal enemies.

Dionys Murphy
6 months 2 weeks ago

Goodness. The horrific monster of anti-Semitism raises its ugly head.

Toby Gillis
6 months 2 weeks ago

Puhleeze! This libtard idiotess wouldn't know a Jesuit if one knocked her out.

Dana Jens
6 months 2 weeks ago

This is one line America Magazine will be sorry they crossed - +++

Mike Theman
6 months 2 weeks ago

Who? Why. D-list comedienne whose only claim to fame is her outrageous political comments that aren't even funny. Can't believe America stoops this low.

Carol Cox
6 months 2 weeks ago

Anti-Semitism raises its ugly head along with threats. "This is one line America Magazine will be sorry they crossed." This is "bullying" and "harassment" of the lowest order.
These comments certainly do not define "be charitable".

Joseph Ciliberto
6 months 2 weeks ago

Olga, I have to confess I had the same knee-jerk reaction as most of the commentators here when I saw the headline in my in-box. However, I took a deep breadth, and with full memory of some of Sarah more disgusting stand up and conversations, I waited a moment, read your piece and came to my conclusion about what to say. I applaud Sarah Silverman's comments regarding Jesuits, and liken it to the Holy Father's approach to the Chinese Government. It is up to us to build our side of the bridge to completion and wait lovingly for the other side to join us. It is our duty to begin the process of rapprochement, as the Lord awaits all of us to turn to Him and in spite of our best efforts to avoid, and in some cases insult Him, He still is building the bridge. Maybe in the end, we will see Sarah having a change of heart and we see a growing and vibrant Catholic population in China. And maybe, just maybe, the hearts of the commentators below will see a way to get out their tools and materials and begin building their bridge not only to others who talk just like they do but toward the mercy of Christ.

More: TV

The Adorers of the Blood of Christ have asked the U.S. Supreme Court to decide whether their religious freedom rights were violated by the construction and pending use of a natural gas pipeline through its land.
Throughout the discussions leading up to the synod's final week, small groups "have been very specific and intentional that we don't become too Western with our approach."
In a statement issued a few minutes after the broadcast of a story from Radio-Canada investigating sexual abuse allegedly committed by 10 Oblate missionaries in First Nation communities, the Quebec Assembly of Catholic Bishops told of their "indignation and shame" for the "terrible tragedy of
Central American migrants depart from Ciudad Hidalgo, Mexico, on Oct. 21. (AP Photo/Moises Castillo)
Many of the migrants in the caravan are fleeing Central America’s “Northern Triangle”—El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras. These countries are beset by “the world’s highest murder rates, deaths linked to drug trafficking and organized crime and endemic poverty.”
J.D. Long-GarcíaOctober 23, 2018