Newt Gingrinch on his chosen faith

New Gingrich, who is exploring a run for the presidency, pens an essay for the National Catholic Register on why he chose to become Catholic. He explains that the decision was a decade-long journey, influened by his current wife Callista, his reading of Pope Benedict's GingrichJesus of Nazareth, and the peacefulness of the Pope that he witnessed when the Holy Father visited Washington three years ago this month.

The full text of the article below, and some earlier thoughts on Gingrich here and here.

Newt Gingrich: Why I became Catholic

National Catholic Register

I am often asked when I chose to become Catholic. However, it is more truthful to say that over the course of several years I gradually became Catholic and then decided one day to accept the faith I had already come to embrace.

My wife, Callista, is a lifelong Catholic and has been a member of the choir of the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washington, D.C., for 15 years. Although I was Southern Baptist, I had attended Mass with Callista every Sunday at the basilica to watch her sing with the choir.

I accompanied Callista to Rome in 2005, when the choir was invited to sing at St. Peter’s Basilica. While there, I had the opportunity to talk at length with Msgr. Walter Rossi, rector of the basilica in D.C., about faith, history and many of the cultural challenges, including secularism, facing our country. Our conversations were enlightening and intriguing.

During that trip, I experienced my first visit to St. Peter’s Basilica, and I recall marveling at being in the presence of the historic truth of the Church that day.

At the same time, I was being influenced by several books I was reading, including George Weigel’s The Cube and the Cathedral, about the crisis of secularism in Europe, and his book The Final Revolution, about the role of Christianity in freeing Eastern Europe from an atheistic dictatorship.

I was also moved by Pope Benedict’s reflection in his book Jesus of Nazareth that, “God is the issue: Is he real, reality itself, or isn’t he? Is he good, or do we have to invent the good ourselves?”

Throughout our travels, whether Callista and I were in Costa Rica or Africa, she was adamant about finding a local Mass on Sunday. Listening to “Amazing Grace” being sung in Chinese at Mass in Beijing was a beautiful experience, and worshipping with believers across the world opened my eyes to the diversity and richness of the Catholic Church.

Over the course of a decade, the depth of faith and history contained in the life of the Catholic Church were increasingly apparent to me, and the centrality of the Eucharist in the Catholic Mass became more and more clear.

Pope Benedict XVI’s visit to the United States in April of 2008 was a turning point for me. The Holy Father presided over solemn vespers with the U.S. bishops in the Crypt Church at the basilica in Washington. Callista’s choir was asked to sing for Pope Benedict at vespers, and as a spouse, I had the unique opportunity to attend the papal visit and was deeply moved by the occasion.

Catching a glimpse of Pope Benedict that day, I was struck by the happiness and peacefulness he exuded. The joyful and radiating presence of the Holy Father was a moment of confirmation about the many things I had been thinking and experiencing for several years.

That evening I told Msgr. Rossi I wanted to be received into the Catholic Church, and he agreed to join Callista as my sponsor. Under his tutelage, I studied the Catechism of the Church over the next year and was received into the Church in March of 2009 in a beautiful Mass at St. Joseph’s on Capitol Hill.

After a decade-long — perhaps lifelong — faith journey, I was finally home.

Jim McCrea
6 years 1 month ago
I hope that his prior 2 wives are impressed!
6 years 1 month ago
Not to be a fuss-budget, but the English edition of Jesus of Nazareth Vol. 1 wasn't published until 2007. If Mr. Gingrich read it in 2005, he must have read German, which is an accomplishment I wasn't aware he had.
David Pasinski
6 years 1 month ago
I have no love lost for the policies advocated by Newt Gingrich nor his apparent behavior with previous spouses. He's a Republican I most love to call a hypocrite, etc.  However, I don't presume that he is insincere in his new faith and, while our interpretations of Catholic Chrsitianity are probably far different, I hope that we cuold meet on some common ground - though it'd yet be a stretch!
Brendan McGrath
6 years 1 month ago
David - Oh wow, you're right - but then again, since he was a Southern Baptist before that (though he seems to imply that it wasn't particularly important to him), it would seem that he already "had" Jesus, so to speak.  But still, it is striking to observe.
david power
6 years 1 month ago
Spot the missing word from Newt's speech.

A big prize goes to the winner.

A clue is that he was converted in 2005.

I am hoping for some good answers.
Brendan McGrath
6 years 1 month ago
David - Is the missing word "conclave"?  Or maybe "Iraq"?

By the way, does he say necessarily that the conversion itself happened in 2005 precisely?  I thought it was more recent than that?  Tom, you mention a possible discrepancy in the dates too with regard to the pope's book, but again, is he anywhere saying he read the book in 2005?  I could be missing something.
david power
6 years 1 month ago
@Brendan,

I am afraid not.
He actually does use the word but only by way of referencing a book.
The magic word that is always missing from his catholic conversion stories is "Jesus".
He seems to have fallen in love with the institution and it ties in with his historical outlook etc but never mentions a damascus like situation.
Robert Dean
6 years 1 month ago
How very, very heartwarming.

The Affordable Care Act has changed our expectations for health care. It shifted the way we live, which may be shifting what we believe.
Michael RozierMay 25, 2017
Budget Director Mick Mulvaney speak to the media about President Donald Trump's proposed fiscal 2018 federal budget in the Press Briefing Room of the White House in Washington on Tuesday, May 23, 2017. (AP Photo/Andrew Harnik)
The U.S. bishops have raised some serious concerns about what this proposal says about our national values.
The EditorsMay 25, 2017
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell of Ky., right, accompanied by Sen. John Barrasso, R-Wyo., meets with reporters on Capitol Hill in Washington, Tuesday, May 23, 2017, following after a Republican policy luncheon. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)
Congress is asking the nation to make “immoral choices,” said Sister Keehan, the president of the Catholic Health Association.
Kevin ClarkeMay 25, 2017
Philippine government soldiers walk past a mosque before their May 25 assault on Maute insurgents, who have taken over large parts of the town of Marawi. Residents started to evacuate Marawi after President Rodrigo Duterte imposed martial law across the entire Muslim-majority region of Mindanao. (CNS photo/Romeo Ranoco, Reuters)
Gunmen claiming to have links with the Islamic State group threatened to kill hostages, including a Catholic priest, who were taken from the southern Philippine city of Marawi on May 23.