Quebec government limits churches to 50 people, 25 in riskier regions

The Quebec government took religious leaders by surprise by announcing Sept. 20 that the maximum number of people allowed to participate in an event in a place of worship would be lowered from 250 to 50 in all regions of the province, starting Sept. 21. (CNS photo/Tyler Orsburn)

MONTREAL (CNS) — The Quebec government took religious leaders by surprise by announcing Sept. 20 that the maximum number of people allowed to participate in an event in a place of worship would be lowered from 250 to 50 in all regions of the province, starting Sept. 21.

But the Quebec government also announced that three regions, including Montreal and Quebec City, moved from “yellow” to “orange” on the COVID-19 alert scale. In these regions, places of worship are now allowed to accommodate only 25 people instead of 250. This measure will be adjusted when these regions move back from orange to yellow.

Christian Dube, minister of health and social services, said that because of the spread of COVID-19, Quebec health authorities have had to “permanently adjust, regardless of the alert level” a previously adopted measure.

“For gatherings taking place in rented rooms, places of worship, festive events, weddings, BBQs, picnics, it will now be a maximum of 50 people,” he said at a news conference in Montreal.

[Don’t miss the latest news from the church and the world. Sign up for our daily newsletter.]

“Epidemiological investigations have shown that the outbreaks are more specifically related to gatherings,” his ministry added. It is to “protect the population” that public health authorities “recommend tightening the rules related to gatherings.”

Bishop Pierre Goudreault of Sainte-Anne-de-la-Pocatiere reacted to the announcement with “incomprehension, disappointment and indignation.”

“I would like to recall that no outbreak of the coronavirus has occurred from a Catholic church. Why restrict gatherings there when the participants in Masses are exemplary in their way of respecting and practicing sanitary measures?” he asked.

“The government once again placed places of worship and bars in the same category,” said the Interreligious Table, a consultation body created during last spring’s lockdown that brings together Christians, Muslims and Jews, including Catholic bishops.

[Want to discuss politics with other America readers? Join our Facebook discussion group, moderated by America’s writers and editors.]

These past months, religious people “have spared no effort to try to engage in a frank and open dialogue with government authorities in a spirit of collaboration,” said Bishop Christian Rodembourg of Saint-Hyacinthe, spokesman for the Interreligious Table.

 

“Letters have not even been acknowledged, while unanswered phone calls and emails have become uncountable,” said the bishop, who is also president of the Assembly of Catholic Bishops of Quebec. “This situation is disappointing and unacceptable.”

The Table demands that the government “reclassify places of worship” in the same category as theaters, cinemas and concert halls immediately. This would allow places of worship to continue to accommodate up to 250 people instead of being limited to 25 or 50.

“We also ask that a frank and open channel of communication be established between us and the government authorities. We are not asking for a privilege. We present ourselves as partners and simply wish to be considered fairly by the government,” said Bishop Rodembourg.

In Quebec City, Cardinal Gerald Lacroix said he was “very surprised” by the announcement. “Please, review it,” he also told government officials.

“It’s not fair,” he said, pointing out how the news was received with dismay by families who are preparing for a wedding or a funeral.

He said he hopes to see more respect from for religious groups by the provincial government.

The cardinal said he is concerned about the disastrous impact that such a decision could have on the finances of Catholic churches — already weakened by the health crisis and lockdown — that rely largely on donations from the faithful for their finances.

With a limit of 25 people inside a church, “it’s impossible to survive,” he said. “We are very, very concerned about that.”

We don’t have comments turned on everywhere anymore. We have recently relaunched the commenting experience at America and are aiming for a more focused commenting experience with better moderation by opening comments on a select number of articles each day.

But we still want your feedback. You can join the conversation about this article with us in social media on Twitter or Facebook, or in one of our Facebook discussion groups for various topics.

Or send us feedback on this article with one of the options below:

We welcome and read all letters to the editor but, due to the volume received, cannot guarantee a response.

In order to be considered for publication, letters should be brief (around 200 words or less) and include the author’s name and geographic location. Letters may be edited for length and clarity.

We open comments only on select articles so that we can provide a focused and well-moderated discussion on interesting topics. If you think this article provides the opportunity for such a discussion, please let us know what you'd like to talk about, or what interesting question you think readers might want to respond to.

If we decide to open comments on this article, we will email you to let you know.

If you have a message for the author, we will do our best to pass it along. Note that if the article is from a wire service such as Catholic News Service, Religion News Service, or the Associated Press, we will not have direct contact information for the author. We cannot guarantee a response from any author.

We welcome any information that will help us improve the factual accuracy of this piece. Thank you.

Please consult our Contact Us page for other options to reach us.

When you click submit, this article page will reload. You should see a message at the top of the reloaded page confirming that your feedback has been received.

[Explore all of America’s in-depth coverage of the coronavirus pandemic]

The latest from america

“The government doesn’t want to reunite the children with their parent...They don’t see it as their role.”
J.D. Long-GarcíaOctober 23, 2020
Joe Biden made the perfect reply to a child who is sorry and shaky and demoralized and has no idea how to fix the damage caused: the recommitment to unconditional love.
Valerie SchultzOctober 23, 2020
“It definitely will save lives, especially in countries where there is active persecution of L.G.B.T.Q. people.”
Michael J. O’LoughlinOctober 23, 2020
“Rebecca” tickles at mystery’s itch along our skin.
Erika RasmussenOctober 23, 2020