Cardinal Walter Kasper on 'Mercy'

Cardinal Walter Kasper on 'Mercy'

Matt Malone, S.J., interviews Cardinal Walter Kasper about his book Mercy: The Essence of the Gospel and the Key to Christian Life

Tammy Gottschling
I've been thinking about Jesus the Word of God. You have given me hope for the understanding and related comprehension as an American Catholic. Thank you so much for the interview with Cardinal Walter Kasper. I have only been given the opportunity to read his work. I think one's primary language is more important than ever (watching and listening to your conversation).
Tammy Gottschling
Bravo Matt Malone.
Tammy Gottschling
....reading your diaconal reflection you assert, " The deacon’s three-fold work—the ministry of the Word, the ministry at the Altar and the ministry of charity—form one distinct office, a ministry that is different from the priestly and epsicopal offices, yet complementary." I just want to tell you, Matt Malone that I was happy after watching this interview. It is through your work I benefitted and was simply happy. Now I understand why. (Source:http://www.jesuitvocation.org/jesuits/formation/reflection_malone_matt.shtml) I want to thank you.
Tammy Gottschling
.... In my recollection I recall a Facebook picture posted after a "poke" from a specific professor at a specific university. It was then and is now telling. I can only make decision for myself in obedience to God. I would direct your attention to Professor Gutting's critique of "Priming." I'm attention has been directed to Peter J. Kreeft's textbook titled, Catholic Christianity: A Complete Catechism of the Catholic Church page 260 (Private Property and the common good) re Providence. Mercy and Grace are theological gift from God's Person to our person. I also agree with Thomas Merton that God loves us and it is God that the human person is seeking to encounter because God is Holy. This said, I think Merton writes it beautifully in his book titled, The Inner Experience: Notes on Contemplation pages 103 and 122. I know if I obey God's calling we will all be respected. And, I also know I can only make this choice for my self. And, I have because God's mercy and grace is different than ours. Then we get into the theological understanding of Love and of course charity. I think this is a time to be wise for the sake of Christianity and humanity.
Tammy Gottschling
.... In my recollection I recall a Facebook picture posted after a "poke" from a specific professor at a specific university. It was then and is now telling. I can only make decisions for myself in obedience to God. I would direct your attention to Professor Gutting's critique of "Priming." My attention has been directed to Peter J. Kreeft's textbook titled, Catholic Christianity: A Complete Catechism of the Catholic Church page 260 (Private Property and the common good) re Providence. Mercy and Grace are theological gifts from God's Person to our person. I also agree with Thomas Merton that God loves us and it is God that the human person is seeking to encounter because God is Holy. I know I am not God. This said, I think Merton writes it beautifully in his book titled, The Inner Experience: Notes on Contemplation on pages 103 and 122. I know if I obey God's calling we will all be respected. And, I also know I can only make this choice for my self. And, I have because God's mercy and grace is different than ours. Then we get into the theological understanding of Love and of course charity. I think this is a time to be wise for the sake of Christianity and humanity. Edit: Thank God for auto spell checker. I do.
Beth Cioffoletti
The "chesed" of God ... The chesed of God is a gratuitous mercy that considers no fitness, no worthiness and no return. It is the way the Lord looks upon the guilty and with His look makes them at once innocent. This look seems to some to be anger because they fly from it. But if they face it, they see that it is love and that they are innocent. (Their flight and their confusion of their own fear make them guilty in their own eyes.) The chesed of God is truth. It is infallible strength. It is the love by which He seeks and chooses His chosen, and binds them to Himself. It is the love by which He is married to mankind, so that, if humanity is faithless to Him, it must still always have fidelity to which to return: that is His own fidelity. He has become inseparable from man in the chesed which we call "Incarnation," and "Cross" and "Resurrection." He has also given us is chesed in the Person of His Spirit. The Paraclete is the full, inexpressible mystery of chesed. So that in the depths of our own being there is an inexhaustible spring of mercy and love. Our own being has become love. Our own self has become God's love for us, and it is full of Christ, of chesed. But we must face and accept ourselves and others as chesed. Thomas Merton. Seasons of Celebration. (New York: Farrar, Straus & Giroux, 1950): 178-179. More on CHESED here: http://fatherlouie.blogspot.com/search?q=chesed
Tammy Gottschling
I'm wondering if it might be better to utilize the Christian Bible, instead of Old and New Testaments? Again, this is a wonderful interview.

A profile of Liam Callanan, author and the 2017 recipient of The George W. Hunt, S.J., Prize for Excellence in Journalism, Arts & Letters.
America FilmsOctober 31, 2017
Pope Francis called six astronauts on the International Space Station yesterday and decided to ask them some of life's biggest questions.
America FilmsOctober 27, 2017
At this year’s Al Smith Dinner, Speaker of the House Paul Ryan doled out the event’s trademark deprecating humor with zingers aimed at both sides of the aisle—and the White House.
America FilmsOctober 20, 2017