Lifting Limits on Sex Abuse Suits?

Some victims of childhood sexual abuse would have one more year to file lawsuits against private or nonprofit organizations that protected their suspected abusers under a California bill that passed a key legislative committee on Aug. 21 and is now on its way to a vote before the full assembly. The National Center for Victims of Crime, which sponsored the bill, and other supporters say victims might take years to acknowledge that they were molested. The Catholic Church has vigorously lobbied against the measure. “It discriminates against victims of child sexual abuse,” Ned Dolejsi, executive director of the California Catholic Conference, said in a statement. “It discriminates against private and nonprofit organizations like the church. It continues to protect public schools and government workers from lawsuits filed by victims and it even prevents victims from suing their actual abuser.” Changes approved by the California legislature in 2009 increased the statute of limitations for abuse claims against public entities.

Comments are automatically closed two weeks after an article's initial publication. See our comments policy for more.
Chris NUNEZ
4 years 11 months ago
This brief might have had more credibility if a representative for the National Center for Victims of Crime had been interviewed and asked what the intentions of the legislation are, and why was it taken it's current shape. One can sympathize with the need to prosecute an accused perpetrator and extend the statute of limitations. But it's not really clear what's going on here.

Advertisement
Advertisement

The latest from america

Boston Cardinal Sean P. O'Malley and Deacon Bernie Nojadera, executive director of the U.S. bishops' Secretariat for Child and Youth Protection, are pictured during the 2017 Catholic convocation in Orlando, Fla.  (CNS photo/Bob Roller)
“Our first job is to listen, to be empathetic,” said Deacon Bernie Nojadera, the executive director of the U.S. bishops’ Secretariat for the Protection of Children and Young People.
 In a screen grab taken from video, Pennsylvania Attorney General Josh Shapiro speaks during an Aug. 14 news conference to release a grand jury on a months-long investigation into abuse claims spanning a 70-year period in the dioceses of Harrisburg, Pittsburgh, Scranton, Allentown, Greensburg and Erie. (CNS photo/Reuters video)
At least 1,000 children identified in the investigation were raped in Catholic places of worship, in schools, and in diocesan owned vehicles.
Pity and punish the powerful but take no delight in their fall.
Terrance KleinAugust 15, 2018
The state’s attorney general said that his office’s two-year investigation identified 301 priests who abused children and more than 1,000 victims.