Brad Pitt, SJ

For those of you who enjoyed Mary Doria Russell’s bestselling science-fiction novel, "The Sparrow," about a group of Jesuit scientists and lay colleagues who discover life on far-off planet with some tragic results, comes this bit of casting news.  Many years ago there were rumors that the part of Father Emilio Sandoz, S.J., had been offered to, or at least considered by, Antonio Banderas.  (Trivia: Banderas’ cousin was a kindly Jesuit brother who cared for Pedro Arrupe, S.J., the former superior general, during his last years in the Jesuit infirmary in Rome.)

Brad Pitt is certainly a talented actor, but the question remains: Is he handsome enough to play a Jesuit priest?

Photo: Brad Pitt, SJ (Pictured here in his black clerical suit, though on a day when his Roman collar was at the dry cleaners.)

James Martin, SJ

He's definitely more the Dominican type. Or, perhaps, a deacon.
I think the better question would be, "Is Brad Pitt Latino enough to play Emilio Sandez?" Why must Hollywood whiten perfectly good characters like this?
Hi, Father Jim, This is one of your friends from St. Mary's in Scituate, Mass. Thanks for a great talk on humor and spirituality! I see you intend to keep your audience still laughing. Well, to answer your question. Oh yes, Brad Pitts IS certainly HANDSOME enough to attempt to play a Jesuit. BUT, is he SOULFUL enough ...???? Kidding aside now, I loved Russel's book and its sequel, so profound and so provocative. Hard to imagine golden boy Pitt playing the dark, tortured soul Fr.Emilio' S.J. tragically becomes as "the sparrow" that falls from grace. O, Antonio, where art thou?
I could picture Pitt slaughtering the Roman accent. Please God, no Pitt!
I don't think Brad Pitt is handsome enough to play the part of a Jesuit. I think they should get a Spaniard to play the part. To this day the most memorable Jesuits I ever listened to were a couple of Spanish Jesuits. I heard them preach when I was a kid. They should get a Spanish actor. I opt for somebody who is Basque. I am prejudice, my late mother's last name was Basque.
No, Brad Pitt isn't handsome enough to play a Jesuit. I suggest Jake Gyllenhaal (Donny Darko), who's not only attractive but has a quality of vulnerability that would suit a Jesuit missionary.
I knew if I couldn't sleep, I'd find something interesting to read over here tonight. Hmmm... I could Photoshop in a Roman Collar in the picture, just to see if he can pull off the look. Maybe he's more the diocesan priest type? Maria
Somebody I know suggested the Mexican actor Eduardo Verástegui. He starred in the film 'Bella.' Also he is a devout Catholic. My sister Theresa thinks it should be this Mexican actor. My sister and I are prejudiced: our maternal grandparents were Mexican and, like Verástegui, they had a Basque last name.
Not a good choice. Brad Pitt projects about as much compassion as his namesake, my neighbor's Pitt Bull named Brad.
Interestingly enough, my last name is Sandoz and I am a former Jesuit. In response to the question is Pitt handsome enough to play a Jesuit? No, I would have preferred Banderas. And in my days as an SJ I was more handsome than Pitt, but not as charming as Banderas.
9 years 1 month ago
It's not a question of can a handsome talented married man play a celebate sometimes controversal structured spiritual leader. I guess what most people wonder is can a man who has made releif efforts in another country play a man who jioned a missions driven order. And do it well.
9 years ago
Speaking back in 2006 (at the Festival of Faith and Writing), Mary Doria Russell stated that Brad Pitt's interest in the role was a key to the selling of the movie rights. She also noted that her kids would now be going to college debt-free, and expressed no concerns about the casting choice or screenplay adaptation. It's always about the money. ;-)
Antonio Antonio...has heart, intellect, soul and the physical description...I would love to see him bring Emilo Sandoz to us.
Perhaps Brad could render Father Marc, the Canadian Botanist/artist with a greater believability.
Brad just doesn't have the warmth, intellect, humor and physical description which make this character so rich.

Supporters of opposition presidential candidate Salvador Nasralla clash with military police in the Policarpo Paz Garcia neighborhood of Tegucigalpa, Honduras, on Jan. 20, 2018. Following a disputed election marred by irregularities, incumbent President Juan Orlando Hernandez was declared the victor and will be inaugurated on Jan. 27. The opposition does not recognize Hernandez's victory and are protesting against the result. (AP Photo/Fernando Antonio)
“You will see many protests during his mandate...because Honduras hasn’t fixed its age-old problems of inequality, exclusion, poor educational and health system, corruption and impunity.”
Melissa VidaJanuary 23, 2018
I want to be able to serve the state better. I want to be able to serve more of the state.
Nathan SchneiderJanuary 23, 2018
Formed in 2011, The Oh Hellos' Christianity is one of their foundational inspirations, evident in lines like "the only God I should have loved."
Colleen DulleJanuary 23, 2018
People gather at a June 14 candlelight vigil in Manila, Philippines, in memory of the victims of the mass shooting at a gay nightclub in Orlando, Fla. Philippine Catholic bishops called for vigilance against bullying, ostracism and harassment of gay people in the wake of the incident in which police said a lone gunman killed 49 people early June 12 at the club. (CNS photo/Mark R. Cristino, EPA)
“We are losing three generations of people, and we need to hear why,” said Bishop Mark O’Connell.
Michael J. O’LoughlinJanuary 23, 2018