Assistant Editor for Audience Engagement
Job Title: Assistant Editor for Audience Engagement
Company: America Media
Reports to: Director of Audience Engagement and Analytics
Location: Remote until offices reopen, then New York City area
About America Media: America Media is a Jesuit ministry. We empower our audience to lead the conversation with a smart, Catholic take on faith and culture. We are the leading producer of content for thinking Catholics and those who want to know what Catholics think. Our contributors are the principal figures in the American Catholic Church today, the decision-makers and opinion leaders who drive the ecclesial and civic debate about religion, society, politics and the arts.
The Job: America seeks a full-time media professional with a knack for understanding and connecting with digital audiences. We’re not looking for the “social media person” (although you’ll spend a good amount of time there) as much as the someone who understands how to reach and engage audiences in the digital space—whatever the platform might be. You spend a lot of your time online. You know how to take an in-depth, nuanced, theological or political essay and make it accessible and attractive to the general reader. In short, we’re looking for someone to help us meet our readers right where they are in the digital realm: their inboxes, feeds, timelines and DMs.
- Create and send our award-winning newsletters
- Own and operate America’s social media accounts
- Write (and rewrite and rewrite) headlines and promotion copy in consultation with other editors
- Engage America’s community in on- and off-platform channels (Comment and Facebook group moderation, etc.)
- Develop and experiment with new content executions onsite and in emerging distribution platforms (We aren’t on TikTok. Should we be? You’ll help answer that question.)
- Monitors performance and analytics, particularly for newsletters and social media
- Opportunities for writing and editing
- Coordinate digital promotion and engagement strategy for America’s events
- Participate in at least one editorial content team (Faith, Arts & Culture, Op-Ed, etc.)
- Undergraduate degree
- 2-3 years of experience in the media industry or related digital field, with a thorough understanding of online business models and strategies
- Excellent writing and proofreading skills
- Demonstrated experience in managing brand newsletter and/or social media accounts
- Editorial sensibilities that align with the mission of America Media. Knowledge of or interest in developing knowledge of the Catholic Church, Ignatian spirituality, and America Media’s Jesuit mission
- Comfort with a wide variety of software tools
- Basic image editing
- Web design and HTML
- Audio/Video experience
Not sure if you meet all these requirements? Please apply anyway! If you think this would be a good fit, we would love to hear from you.
To Apply: Submit a cover letter, resume and two writing samples to email@example.com
Compensation and Benefits:
This role offers a competitive salary between $45,000 to $55,000 annually and additionally offers an exceptional full benefits package. Benefits include Medical, Dental and Vision coverage and employer paid life insurance, long-term disability, short-term disability and AD&D.
America Media EEO Statement:
America is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.