Burke Apologizes to Fellow Bishops

The prefect of the Supreme Court of the Apostolic Signature issued an apology to his fellow U.S. bishops March 26 for how comments he made in a videotaped interview were used. According to reports in the Washington Post and elsewhere, during the interview, Terry asked Archbishop Burke about the "deafening silence" last year from bishops such as Donald Wuerl of Washington, D.C. and Paul Loverde of Arlington, Va. about whether they would serve Communion to then-vice presidential candidate Joseph R. Biden Jr., a Catholic who supports abortion rights. In the interview, U.S. Archbishop Raymond L. Burke told Terry that bishops, priests, deacons and extraordinary ministers of Holy Communion should refuse Communion to Catholic politicians who insist on supporting legislation to keep abortion legal, and said U.S. President Barack Obama "could be an agent of death." Terry, founder of the anti-abortion group Operation Rescue, showed the videotaped interview during a press conference, at which time he called for Wuerl and Loverde to be removed as bishops because he said they had not instructed ordinary and extraordinary ministers to refuse Holy Communion to Catholic politicians who support laws that keep abortion legal. In a statement released in Rome, Archbishop Burke said Terry told him the videotaped interview, conducted in Rome March 2, would be used to encourage pro-life workers in their cause and had no idea Terry would be showing it at a press conference.

 

 

Don't miss the best from America

Sign up for our Newsletter to get the Jesuit perspective on news, faith and culture.

The latest from america

Greg Hicks as "Richard III" (photo: Alex Brenner)
It would be fascinating were the producers able to arrange a quick transfer to a venue somewhere near the White House.
David StewartMay 26, 2017
In the hyper-curated, beautiful world that Dev lives in, a scene that conveys the touching, ugly stubbornness of marriage seems totally impossible.
Eloise BlondiauMay 26, 2017
This image released by the Minya governorate media office shows bodies of victims killed when gunmen stormed a bus in Minya, Egypt, Friday, May 26, 2017 (Minya Governorate Media office via AP).
The attack in central Egypt today killed at least 26 people, including children aged 2 to 4, and wounded 25 others.
Gerard O'ConnellMay 26, 2017
The data and facts are clear: If you care about working families and sound economic policy, SNAP is the program for you.
Meghan J. ClarkMay 26, 2017