Marquette University, a private, coeducational, Catholic, Jesuit institution in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, seeks an enthusiastic and visionary leader to serve as its 24th President. Marquette is committed to excellence, faith, leadership, and service. The university aims to graduate students who are transformed by their education and who, in turn, will transform the world.
Founded in 1881, Marquette is the largest private university in Wisconsin. The university enjoys steady and strong enrollment, with over 11,000 students from all 50 states and more than 80 countries, including approximately 8,000 undergraduates, 2,000 graduate students, and 1,200 professional students in dentistry, education, health sciences, law and nursing. Marquette’s attractive 90-acre campus on the edge of Milwaukee’s downtown is home to a highly collegial community with more than 1,200 faculty members in 12 academic divisions. Marquette is accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools and underwent its decennial reaffirmation of accreditation visit in late 2013.
Among its peers, Marquette is distinguished for its emphasis on connecting academic excellence and service to others. In Marquette’s 2013 senior survey, 87 percent of seniors said they participated in community service, devoting approximately 422,000 hours of their time each year. Marquette also prides itself on a proud intercollegiate athletic tradition as a NCAA-Division I institution competing in the Big East Conference.
Marquette’s Board of Trustees approved a new strategic plan, Beyond Boundaries: Setting the Course for Marquette’s Future, in 2013. The President will play the decisive role in shaping and implementing this plan, inspiring and supporting faculty, students, and the university community. To succeed, the President will:
• Serve as a compelling advocate and spokesperson for Catholic, Jesuit education in the 21st century, within the university and beyond;
• Be the chief advocate and leader of the university’s mission;
• Nimbly address and meet the challenges facing higher education while enhancing Marquette’s commitment to the almost 500-year-old Jesuit educational tradition;
• Expand the university’s resources, in particular through philanthropy by serving in a prominent role of cultivating and soliciting donors, as wellas providing leadership in the largest comprehensive campaign in Marquette’s history;
• Lead efforts to enhance and implement the strategic plan;
• Develop a cohesive leadership team, including hiring a permanent Provost and integrating himor her into a high-functioning leadership group; and
• Grow and strengthen Marquette’s diverse community and culture of inclusiveness.
Screening of complete applications will begin immediately and continue until the completion of the search process. Applicants should send the following separate documents to MarquettePresident@wittkieffer.com: a detailed letter of application, a curriculum vitae, and a list of at least eight references including complete contact information and a description of the relationship to the applicant. References will not be contacted without the permission of the candidate. Electronic submission of applications and correspondence is strongly preferred. Inquiries and nominations can be submitted to the same e-mail address or to the search firm representatives at the address or phone number listed below.
Dennis M. Barden, Jean A. Dowdall, and/or Ann A. Yates
2015 Spring Rd., Suite 510
Oak Brook, IL 60523
630-575-6167 and/or 651-332-2587